Simplicity RSPS Store: 500$

We're well into the timeline where RSPS is harder than Jagex RS
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Post The Most Rediculous Thing About What OSRS Has Become

Post by Ceikry »

Nightmare Zone.

Completely AFK, Completely Safe, Practically Free
AFK to max combat with 0 risk to your items or your sanity, train combat in your sleep, get rewarded for training combat in the easiest way with OP item upgrades that you "earned!"

Downright insulting.
Nerds
Telixnth
Noob

Post by Telixnth »

Mahogany Homes is cute, but I'm not sure how to feel about it. It exchanges the typically high cost of training construction with a much slower, less resource intensive method. It's up to the player to ask if it is appropriate to add a minigame that subverts the entire characterization of training a skill. We have Vinesweeper though, and that is certainly in the same vein, although I find Vinesweeper distasteful, and as such I also found Mahogany Homes distasteful. They are both minigames that completely nullify the sense of shared achievement between players -- a high construction level no longer means you suffered through endless thousands of planks; you could have just played the simple minigame. It makes players feel less connected to each other. Shared misery and all that, I suppose.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Telixnth wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:54 pm Mahogany Homes is cute, but I'm not sure how to feel about it. It exchanges the typically high cost of training construction with a much slower, less resource intensive method. It's up to the player to ask if it is appropriate to add a minigame that subverts the entire characterization of training a skill. We have Vinesweeper though, and that is certainly in the same vein, although I find Vinesweeper distasteful, and as such I also found Mahogany Homes distasteful. They are both minigames that completely nullify the sense of shared achievement between players -- a high construction level no longer means you suffered through endless thousands of planks; you could have just played the simple minigame. It makes players feel less connected to each other. Shared misery and all that, I suppose.
I can agree with this sentiment, and to some degree I agree with Vinesweeper being a distasteful minigame. However, it is authentic to 2009 and doesn't make anything but leveling farming easier, so I can't be too offset about it.
Nerds
Telixnth
Noob

Post by Telixnth »

Summer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:11 pm I would say the same but I have watched this community come together to play vinesweeper together and at the end of the day. 2009 was a social game so bringing people together to play some games is what the core of the Gowers was about.
Then I'd err on the side of criticizing Mahogany Homes. Nothing social about it. You're lucky if you see another player doing it, and since it takes place in houses with multiple floors, there's only scant seconds to even type something if you wanted to talk. It's a shame though, because the aesthetic and feel of the minigame is great. But that's OSRS for you: pretty, enjoyable even, but deeply flawed.
lila
Noob

Post by lila »

I loved the OG game for the adventure, and I never really liked the combat, or any sort of combat endgame. That the main branch (RS3) turned into boss-scape really put me off, and OSRS has essentially become that too, which I find awful. I don't know if I would outright declare anything in OSRS ridiculous, but things seemed to pile up in such a way that the final result is...slightly ridiculous. My favorite things to do ingame became increasingly worthless, so eventually I stopped playing.

I did really like Zeah though - it's a great big new area to explore, and it was a cool concept. I really liked the Arceuus spellbook - and I actually trained to 99 prayer off of it (lol). But I don't think my love of adventure is enough to overcome the idea that the game is just not made for me. It's for players who want a bossing endgame, or for bots. It's not really for people going for skilling or minigames endgame like I do.

About Vinesweeper - this one is interesting. I was the spark that started the community event for vinesweeper, the first one a few weeks back, and then another big one held today that I organized through my 99 farming party. Seeing the community come together to play the minigame was super fun, and is what I always loved most in this game - people playing minigames together :) . But I did notice the point about how Vinesweeper changes the character of farming. In OG game I got 99 farming primarily via pineapple trees; here in 2009scape, I did it primarily via allotments (watermelons+strawberries) and vinesweeper. Vinesweeper alone is viable to go from 1-99 farming - at level 90 you get around 140k points per hour solo (and points per hour scales linearly with level), which means the minigame can be used to dodge the skill entirely. I see this as a flaw in the minigame's rewards - but, of course, not in the minigame itself. I like that we have Vinesweeper. If I had balanced it myself, I would have probably just cut the XP trade-in option, or made it something like 7:1 points:xp (instead of 1:1). But I think this is part of the general pattern of how the Jagex games went - they wanted to move people away from OG-style skilling (for whatever reason, I'm not going to talk about that in this post), so they provided increasingly powerful substitutes. In that sense, both Vinesweeper and Mahogany homes are 'ridiculous' - especially when put together with all the other skill character changes (Wintertodt, Arceuus reanimation, etc). But I do not think there is any flaw in concept in OSRS - just flaws in rewards/balancing. Which is just as deep (or deeper), but I have always loved the concepts that these games come up with. Though, I haven't actually played the game in about 3 years, though I have kept up with the news somewhat, but maybe there are things I missed.

But anyways I think I'll end this post here: the most ridiculous thing OSRS has become is the sheer level of inflation of boss rewards relative to other aspects of the game. As a marker/index of this, check out how much a fighter torso costs to purchase these days (50m+ I think?), compared to around 8m back in 2017-2018. How the hell is a torso worth 50m? But it is! Something ridiculous is brewing...
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Off Topic
It is worth noting, lila, that despite RS3 being "BossScape", skilling actually still has tremendous value there. Only OSRS has so thoroughly shifted all the value to PVM that skilling is worthless.
Nerds
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

In case you ever wanted more proof Jagex is running OSRS into the ground

https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comm ... t_endgame/
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

https://old.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comm ... ?context=3

Absolutely painful, this guy thinks AFK Splashing (never heard of random events?) and Black Chins are authentic to 2007 RS :lol: