Manjaro Flatpak performance problems

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
moodmood
Noob

Manjaro Flatpak performance problems

Post by moodmood »

Hey guys!
When running the game on Linux (Manjaro) I get horrible performance in the game and the main menu. UI elements take forever to load, everything runs at less than 1 FPS, sounds either do not load or loop forever. Completely unusable!

I'm using the flatpak build, the direct binary behaves the same way. Works great on Windows. :(

I have tried messing with the launcher options, changing in-game quality settings and that does not seem to help in any way. Tried installing/reinstalling java, no change.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Linux performance problems

Post by Red Bracket »

Sounds like it could be a driver issue.

Can you try
* Updating your drivers (run a kernel update) or switching to proprietary drivers if you're on Nvidia
* Running 2009scape through Wine (install OpenJDK first through Wine) to test if that works

I think I actually remember having this issue a few years ago when I was on Manjaro, I don't remember if/how I fixed it.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Linux performance problems

Post by Ceikry »

Definitely not a vague <generally linux> issue, most of the development team including myself use linux and do not have such an issue. Considering the only reports I've heard of for this were on Manjaro, perhaps it's the way manjaro is handling something. Particularly in regards to OpenJDK/Flatpak. Maybe Flatpak isn't configured to have full access to drivers or something? Definitely sounds like a bug to bring up with repo maintainers.

This issue does not exist on Arch btw, at least insofar as no one has ever reported it on Arch.
Nerds
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Manjaro Flatpak performance problems

Post by Red Bracket »

No it's not an issue with Flatpak, Flatpak uses the same OpenJDK across all distros and he's also experiencing it outside of Flatpak
moodmood
Noob

Post by moodmood »

As per recommendation, I tried upgrading and downgrading the kernel, updating the nvidia drivers and that did not work. I also tried running 2009scape in wine, but that just vomited out .NET errors and didn't get very far.
Attempted a workaround to run a manjaro xfce VM and just play there in SD mode. That worked pretty well, but not ideal.
But the actual solution is kind of funny. I disconnected my second monitor and everything just worked. No performance issues at all. After launching the game and reconnecting the secondary display it still runs fine. Could this be an X11/compositor issue? :D

Thanks for the help.
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

moodmood wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 am As per recommendation, I tried upgrading and downgrading the kernel, updating the nvidia drivers and that did not work. I also tried running 2009scape in wine, but that just vomited out .NET errors and didn't get very far.
Attempted a workaround to run a manjaro xfce VM and just play there in SD mode. That worked pretty well, but not ideal.
But the actual solution is kind of funny. I disconnected my second monitor and everything just worked. No performance issues at all. After launching the game and reconnecting the secondary display it still runs fine. Could this be an X11/compositor issue? :D

Thanks for the help.
pop os 22.04, i have no issues on x11 with 3 monitors
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

moodmood wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 am Could this be an X11/compositor issue? :D

Great find :D

Can you try upgrading to Wayland and see if it works? If your main DE is either Gnome or KDE, it should be as easy as installing the relevant packages and choosing Wayland from the user sign-in screen (unless you have auto-signin enabled in your SDDM settings).

For KDE, simply run

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S plasma-wayland-session
and then logout to see the Wayland option. Should be similar for Gnome
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

I put X11 Manjaro KDE in a VM to test if Wayland fixes the issue, but my FPS on SD and HD are already 60. Seems like the issue isn't Manjaro-specific