[Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
sixfootblade
Noob

Re: [Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Post by sixfootblade »

Thanks again everyone for all the help. At this point I can't seem to figure out what keeps crashing it, I get the feeling it is still related to my GPU. It works fine on my 10 year old laptop that still runs, but it's a shitty resolution even with HD, so I don't really want to play on that. I just wish I had enough knowledge to pinpoint what is causing the crashes, because all that happens now is the java.exe process just crashes almost instantly upon HD selection (SD is fine) every time. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future I can give it another try.
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Hey everyone, me again. Decided to take another stab at this. I know one thing we haven't discussed here is trying Java 8 instead of 11. I tried installing that version and made sure the command line was seeing that version, however it looks like 2009scape is auto-downloading JDK11, which I understand works fine for most everyone else. Is there something else I need to do to have the game run through Java 8? I tried changing the java executable file path in the Saradomin launcher as well (trying to do singleplayer though mainly), but it re-downloads JDK11 which I see is by design.

Thanks
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

Java 11 is downloaded automatically because other Java versions have a plethora of issues (mainly graphical glitches).

If you really want to test it with Java 8, do the following:

* Open the command prompt/terminal in the directory of your 2009scape.jar
* Type java -version to make sure you're on Java 8
* Type java -jar 2009scape.jar to run the game

Note - This is also assuming your 2009scape.jar is in the same folder as your config.json/server_profiles.json/plugins folder/etc. That's how it is on Linux, double check it's the same on Windows.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Your java version isn't going to make a difference, the crash is coming directly from the Nvidia driver itself. Have you asked Nvidia support? It's their software crashing, not ours
Nerds
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Yeah, that didn't work. I suspected it was Nvidia but figured I'd double check the java thing anyways. I'll try to get support to look into it. Thanks!