Friend unable to connect to my local server

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
wes
Noob

Friend unable to connect to my local server

Post by wes »

Hi, I am trying to host a server for me and my friend - everything works on my end when using localhost, however when trying to connect to the server via the IP - both me and my friend are seeing the client get stuck on "RuneScape is loading - please wait..." - "Connecting to update server".

I have the ports 43594 and 43595 forwarded and the config.json file is set to my correct external IP

Is there anything else that might need to be configured to get this to work?
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Friend unable to connect to my local server

Post by Red Bracket »

On the computer hosting the server, are you able to check 43594 and 43595 are open on https://canyouseeme.org/?
wes
Noob

Post by wes »

Red Bracket wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:28 pm On the computer hosting the server, are you able to check 43594 and 43595 are open on https://canyouseeme.org/?
Ah it shows the connection timed out - that's strange, I'm not sure why the port is not forwarding, I have it set to on my router
2023-09-22 14_13_40-DGA0122.png
2023-09-22 14_13_40-DGA0122.png (16.54 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
Forwarding in general is working on the router - I have a Plex Media server and a web server hosted on a raspberry pi on this network, it seems like either the port or the pc device has something that is blocking it

I've added an inbound rule for the ports to the firewall also, so I don't think it is my firewall (atleast on the host device itself) that is doing it

Is there anyway I could change which port the server is hosted on so I can troubleshoot the problem?
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

To my knowledge, there is no easy way to change which ports are used. I believe one is for the cache and the other is for the server, and both ports are hardcoded in the launcher/client/server.

If you want to debug your port-forwarding, you could try launching a quick Python server:

Code: Select all

python3 -m http.server 8080
(replace 8080 with the port you're testing)

-----

The TCP protocol is correct, so that looks fine. Is the Destination IP correct? This should be the local IP of the computer that's hosting the server

Double check the destination on Linux by running

ip route get 1
Or on Windows via ifconfig, and post a screenshot of the result
wes
Noob

Post by wes »

Red Bracket wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:06 pm To my knowledge, there is no easy way to change which ports are used. I believe one is for the cache and the other is for the server, and both ports are hardcoded in the launcher/client/server.

If you want to debug your port-forwarding, you could try launching a quick Python server:

python3 -m http.server 8080
(replace 8080 with the port you're testing)

-----

The TCP protocol is correct, so that looks fine. Is the Destination IP correct? This should be the local IP of the computer that's hosting the server

Double check the destination on Linux by running

ip route get 1
Or on Windows via ifconfig, and post a screenshot of the result
Thank you for your reply!

Hmm, python web server works via localhost, but not via external IP, on port 43594

The lan address is correct;
2023-09-22 15_10_53-Administrator_ Command Prompt.png
2023-09-22 15_10_53-Administrator_ Command Prompt.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

Yea, that looks like something on your end. If you can't get 43595 open and have the technical know-how, you could add support for custom ports and make an MR.

Alternatively, you can try something like ngrok to expose a local port, and then reconfigure the config.json: https://ngrok.com/docs/getting-started/
wes
Noob

Post by wes »

Red Bracket wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:29 pm Yea, that looks like something on your end. If you can't get 43595 open and have the technical know-how, you could add support for custom ports and make an MR.

Alternatively, you can try something like ngrok to expose a local port, and then reconfigure the config.json: https://ngrok.com/docs/getting-started/
Thank you for your help, it seems like my pc is not allowing any connections via custom ports, I can see python is the only process listening to 43594 - something else must be blocking it, I'm wondering if there is some windows 11 feature doing it.

I suppose worst case scenario is to try host the 2009scape server on my raspberry pi, but I wonder what kind of system specs are required, do you happen to know?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

You're going to need at least 3-4 GB of RAM. CPU isn't as crucial. It's technically possible to run on as little as 1GB of RAM but it won't run well. You'll definitely want to disable all the bots with anything less than 2GB.
Nerds
wes
Noob

Post by wes »

Ceikry wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:45 pm You're going to need at least 3-4 GB of RAM. CPU isn't as crucial. It's technically possible to run on as little as 1GB of RAM but it won't run well. You'll definitely want to disable all the bots with anything less than 2GB.
Thank you! Unfortunately, the pi is only 2GB model and with other servers running on it, I don't fancy the chances of it running smooth. I will keep looking into the port problem with win11 and hopefully be able to find a solution.