Client-Side High CPU/GPU Usage

Report potential bugs here, and if they seem valid we can create gitlab issues for them.

Moderator: Bug Janitor

Forum rules
- Check if a topic exists before creating a new one.
- Duplicate topics will be immediately deleted.
- Issues lacking detail or sources (where applicable) will be deleted immediately.
- Unimplemented content is not bugged content. Do not report unimplemented content.
- IF YOUR BUG IS EXPLOITABLE DO NOT REPORT IT HERE. DM the report to a Bug Janitor instead.
- Repeated violation of these rules may result in a user being denied access to this section.
JahIthBer
Noob

Client-Side High CPU/GPU Usage

Post by JahIthBer »

After making this post I was able to identify that there is a problem with FPS limiting/CPU cycles on the client specifically (or at least with my hardware combination). These findings are through the live server and even just on the client login screen.

What did you do?

Play 2009scape, or even just sit at the login screen.

What happened?

CPU/GPU usage sits at a steady 20%+ on I5-8600K and GTX 1070 TI. Even when idling on login screen on SD and low settings. It still peaks even higher when loading/unloading things.

What did you expect to happen? (Provide a source from runescape wiki/youtube/etc if possible)

I would naively expect the program to use less resources, but especially so when it is idle. Upon limiting the java executable's FPS to 60 to match my displays in my NVIDIA Control Panel, there was an extremely noticeable difference in hardware usage. SD settings for me go down to around 5% usage instead of a constant 20%+. HD goes down but not as much. This leads me to believe that the framerate changes mentioned in the thread above, 50 from the base game to whatever your refresh rate is, are not implemented correctly. My displays are 60hz so capping it at 60 FPS should be a minimal change, but is is substantial on saving CPU and GPU usage. I also tested without any plugins and it didn't change the results. My test is not very scientific but pretty conclusive in my setup. I don't have a development environment or profiling setup that I know how to use for this project to test further.

For now I am capping FPS at 60 and forcing vertical sync on and my hardware is 20C cooler which means my room won't be so hot either... So there is a workaround for me but it may be beneficial to note/fix for others. Or correct me if I'm wrong.
ryannathans
Staff

Re: Client-Side High CPU/GPU Usage

Post by ryannathans »

I don't think there is a bug here. It's expected that CPU and GPU usage is increased compared to 2009.

We are running at much higher resolutions, the anti aliasing has been quadrupled (2x=8x and 4x=16x), the minimap is antialiased and the frame rate has been lifted to your refresh rate.

Reducing the frame rate is reducing usage because your machine is only doing like a quarter of the work (as an example with a 240hz monitor).

For SD this is relevant because the rendering is done by the CPU using a reasonably slow method, scanline rendering. High frame rate SD is pretty CPU intensive, should be more so than HD.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Client-Side High CPU/GPU Usage

Post by Ceikry »

locked because as Ryan said, it's not a bug.
Nerds