Jagex Launcher on Linux

Discussion of OSRS
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Jagex Launcher on Linux

Post by Red Bracket »

During the Open Beta phase, players are free to play through the regular clients or from the Jagex Launcher. Eventually, the Launcher will become the only way of accessing any Jagex game, including RuneScape and Old School.
https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/article ... x-launcher
How to install the Jagex Launcher using Linux.

The Jagex launcher and Jagex Accounts will not be supported on the Linux OS.

If you wish to continue playing on a Linux machine you will have to use a mechanism that enables Windows applications to operate. There are community projects available that you can try such as:

TormStorm's jagex-launcher-linux project on GitHub
This Reddit thread in r/2007scape discusses the process
A YouTube guide by c00k
https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/article ... r-on-Linux

Tl;dr: Jagex Launcher won't be supported on Linux, but it will also be the only way to play the game going forwards.

---

According to their roadmap, the next milestone is to require Jagex accounts for all new players. Great job, Jagex.

It's tempting to make an article somewhere on 2009scape.org titled "Jagex Launcher & Linux" so we gain free visibility to 1% of the OSRS + RS3 playerbase. Maybe I'll make that page and just have it redirect to this forum post.
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Jagex Launcher on Linux

Post by Red Bracket »

If I really wanted to push it, I could put the text "Not affiliated with the Jagex Launcher" on the 2009scape Flathub page. Doing so would make anyone searching for the Jagex Launcher on KDE or GNOME (aka most Linux users) find 2009scape :roll:

Only downside would be attracting OSRS diehards