HCIM Permadeath Letter from Chadomizer

General discussion
Chadomizer
Noob

HCIM Permadeath Letter from Chadomizer

Post by Chadomizer »

Hi, I'm Chadomizer and I recently hcim permadeath'd. I happened to have just gotten my first skillcape today with around 1630+ total level. I got distracted on-task talking about fish with a newer player in the clan chat. I am asking for a second chance with the account. It is shameful to ask for because I can only assume many players have died before and had to deal with it, but you people make it worth asking.

I really like the people on this server (and even got my dad into it so we could play together), but with the density of playtime I have put in lately I'm just not mature enough to take the L fully and start from zero. Dying on permadeath on a game I play a LOT is a sign from the universe if I ever saw one.

It was a real bummer. I don't really expect to receive an exception from permadeath so I want to say goodbye to you, and that I really enjoyed meeting at stars and chatting it up about the game. I was constantly amazed by how much we could talk about the game together and usually not about the real (stupid) world at all, and how it was almost always about helping other players. I have played plenty of stuff online, rs, osrs, minecraft, starcraft, console shooters, and I am chronic cell phone scroller, and I just want to say out of all the small communities I have been a part of, yours was the most welcoming, wholesome, and good-willed of them all.

Cheers
-Chad
trident101
Noob

Re: HCIM Permadeath Letter from Chadomizer

Post by trident101 »

Give it a few days, then come back, create a non HCIM account and just enjoy the community without focussing too much on making progress. Just as RuneScape, you never leave 2009scape, you only take breaks.
Chadomizer
Noob

Post by Chadomizer »

trident101 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:23 pm Give it a few days, then come back, create a non HCIM account and just enjoy the community without focussing too much on making progress. Just as RuneScape, you never leave 2009scape, you only take breaks.
I don't mean to sound like I am discarding the community. I might come back someday but I'm angry and it'll be a long time before I would be willing to repeat all that, and I think I would be looking to get 10x again without permadeath if that is possible across the RSPS community. My dad is still playing though, so I will get to lurk unseen on you all occasionally at the very least.

I'm trying to accept it and be less angry based on the rationale that I had made a choice not to restart as soon as I learned about the total account-wipe. But even then it was, and remains, a choice of "restart from nothing, or dont LOL"

The tutorial said your account will be reset, but it should be considered that this might be the 1st time a player sees anything about it. People are lazy and the punishment for laziness should be like, big scary red text... or something. It does not ask you at the beginning whether or not you'd like to be a hardcore ironman, it lets you wander around tutorial island as looooong as you'd like and settle in and even gain experience before offering you the option to SET your account to 10x in hcim, with the caveat that it will be RESET when you die.

When I trawled around the website properly and saw the word "permadeath" I rationalized that the English of the author was imperfect, and that they meant to refer to the nature of the account designation (a soft typo in its distinction from normal Ironman in the context of that word's usage in literally any other place it has been used ever since the phrase was invented). I'm not saying that to be disrespectful, it just seemed perfectly likely as there are many languages, billions of speakers, and trillions of ways to express new ideas, but only 1 shared popular concept of what a "hardcore ironman runescape account" is and how it works.

The blame is still my own. It came up in clan chat and someone explained it quite plainly. I ignored the little voice that said "wow you gotta re-do everything LMAO" and now that it's back louder I'm gonna ignore it harder.

It was a long time since I had done early game runescape, and doing it with 10x and all the little time-traveler differences helped me get it out of my system in a way that was more efficient and respectful of my time than normal runescape. I would pay money to continue it but that's not how the server is oriented. I'm new to the entire concept of RSPS in general, and I think if I really want to start again (again), I will try to make sure I can eat my cake and have it too, regarding how nice 10x was and how I wouldn't wish runescape permadeath on even my worst enemies.

In my opinion, in addition to defining exactly what is going to be reset in-game with very specific language (maybe a bulleted list of all game data, even, and a big ol' "I understand and agree" checkbox), the entire game mode should be renamed from hcim to Perma-Death Ironman, since what happens when you die is reflective of the phrase "Perma-Death" and since this is not what happens at all when players die in the much more well known official games which have a NEARLY identical mode of the same exact name.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

No offense, but the wording ingame is pretty clear. the dialogue you had to manually click before the 10x option would even allow you to select it is explicitly "Hardcore (Permadeath!)"

This is how the original jagex implementation of hcim functioned as well (jagex's was harsher actually, a permanent ban instead of resetting your account and letting you try again.)

In 2.5 years of having this mode as an option, and dozens if not hundreds of PDIM deaths, you are the first to ever be confused by the wording. We will not be implementing custom interfaces just to compensate for that.
Nerds