Jagex being sold again (2023)

Discussion of RuneScape 3
sam
Noob

Re: Jagex being sold again (2023)

Post by sam »

As someone coming from OSRS because of this news, and to get away from Jagex, I don't think you folks need be too worried about OSRS players ruining the server. There's definitely a slight adjustment period when you first start, and some QOL features will be missed, but I think overall the message is clear right away that "this is not 2007scape".

An increase in moderators is all you'd really need to deal with new players. Having a formal application process would turn away too many new players IMO. There could maybe be a reward for players reporting bots if things got really bad, but I can't see it becoming too much of an issue with enough moderators.

Really happy this project exists. It's been a very pleasant experience so far, I especially love the commitment to open source and player exports. :D
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

sam wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:36 pm As someone coming from OSRS because of this news, and to get away from Jagex, I don't think you folks need be too worried about OSRS players ruining the server. There's definitely a slight adjustment period when you first start, and some QOL features will be missed, but I think overall the message is clear right away that "this is not 2007scape".

An increase in moderators is all you'd really need to deal with new players. Having a formal application process would turn away too many new players IMO. There could maybe be a reward for players reporting bots if things got really bad, but I can't see it becoming too much of an issue with enough moderators.

Really happy this project exists. It's been a very pleasant experience so far, I especially love the commitment to open source and player exports. :D
If there needs to be a reward to encourage the reporting of bots, people have already been let in that we don't want here.
Nerds
sam
Noob

Post by sam »

Ceikry wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:41 pm
sam wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:36 pm As someone coming from OSRS because of this news, and to get away from Jagex, I don't think you folks need be too worried about OSRS players ruining the server. There's definitely a slight adjustment period when you first start, and some QOL features will be missed, but I think overall the message is clear right away that "this is not 2007scape".

If there needs to be a reward to encourage the reporting of bots, people have already been let in that we don't want here.
Fair enough, I get that. Anybody I know who plays OSRS would be happy to report bots without an incentive, so I still think it's not much of an issue. The common goal is all the same.
trident101
Noob

Post by trident101 »

I've played rs3 till not too long ago, i've "quit" playing about 6 months ago. Somehow the game kept dragging me back after either years or months of not playing the game. I really hope the game gets bought by a company that really loves the game, and will take care of it. I'd love to see having all microtransactions removed, including the ability to buy levels. It probably won't make me play again, but the game deserves some love again really. Somewhere in August i checked the hiscores on the newly released skill, 2~ish weeks after its release. 947 players already had this skill completely maxed, meaning level 120 and 200m XP. That's just gross.
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

More beautiful quotes: https://youtu.be/vI9Ltb-b8_k?si=4gCsTsjD2j1l10UA&t=8187
Right now, Jagex are being sold, the parent company is looking for buyers for them, therefore the revenue is super important to them; they're not going to do anything to impact that. I could believe there's a deliberate "We're not going to ban too many people" type of thing.

Ex-Mod Mat K, 4 Jan 2024