[Proposal] Boss Tasks

Various development-related discussions
CeikryForgotHisPass
Noob

[Proposal] Boss Tasks

Post by CeikryForgotHisPass »

What follows is an idea I had for how we could introduce boss slayer tasks in a balanced and interesting way.

Boss tasks would work as a separate component of slayer, that does not interfere with standard task assignment (e.g. you can have both a boss task and a regular slayer task.)

Boss tasks would not receive the same free reroll treatment normal tasks currently have by default. Boss tasks would cost 50 slayer points to reroll.

Completing a boss task would reward an amount of slayer points that scale with the size of the task, 1 point per boss killed, with the minimum task amount (25) rewarding exactly 25 slayer points, and the maximum task amount (125) rewarding 125 slayer points.

Slayer experience granted from boss kills while on a boss task will be 75% of what you would get if you coincidentally got a normal task that allows that boss (e.g. lesser demons and killing Zammy GWD).

At 99 Slayer, you would be granted the bonus of being able to select from 3 tasks per roll. Each time you roll for boss tasks, you will be able to select from 3 random options. (e.g. 50 KQ, 125 KBD, 35 Jad) If you don't like these options, you must reroll at a cost of 50 slayer points.

As this is entirely a draft proposal, feedback is quite welcome.
SZUMASTER
Noob

Re: [Proposal] Boss Tasks

Post by SZUMASTER »

10 credits for killing a gwd boss
whoosh
Noob

Post by whoosh »

I like boss tasks because I like slayer and it gives me a reason to kill "unpopular" bosses e.g. KQ, KBD, giant mole and so on. I'm not sure if the solution to make these bosses more popular is boss slayer however. A way to fix KQ would be to remove the stupid dchain drop from dust devils and allow KQ to be the only monster which drops the dchain.

I don't like boss tasks because it makes a lot of content either unbalanced or useless. Take corp for example, the meta is currently to use void melee which gives decent magic defence and a +10% damage/accuracy bonus. The slayer helm is a straight upgrade here and allows you to wear better gloves for even more damage/accuracy.

There are also boss tasks that would be less desirable to kill as a boss task than as an ordinary slayer task. Take kree for example. With a boss task of kree, I would get no additional XP from killing the minions and getting KC and only 75% xp from killing kree. With an aviansie task I would get xp from the minions and KC and 100% xp from kree. The slayer helm provides no range benefit and so killing kree as a boss task would be a straight downgrade on slayer xp.

As much as I like slayer, I fall into the camp of, we need to reduce the effectiveness of slayer helm for boss tasks so that we don't wipe out all metas for melee.
aweinstock
Developer

Post by aweinstock »

If this is done, Jad tasks shouldn't be in the same pool as the other tasks, (or should have some multiplier based on expected kills per hour, but that has its own risks/issues), since a single fight caves attempt can take multiple hours, while GWD bosses typically take less than an hour per trip, and you get multiple kills per trip.

Regarding KQ vs Dust devils, it seems like kalphite queen currently has a 1/483 chance to drop Dragon chainbody, and dust devils currently have a 1/942 chance to drop Dragon chainbody; both are incorrect. RS3 drop rates are 1/128 from KQ, and 1/32768 from dust devils. https://runescape.wiki/w/Dust_devil?oldid=2093624, in 2009 mentions that it's rumoured to be 1/16000 from dust devils, which IMO is close enough to be plausible evidence that the drop rate is unchanged. Also regarding KQ, KQ's phase transition incorrectly counts as a death towards kalphite tasks, so each kill currently counts twice for the purposes of slayer.

Regarding whoosh's assertion that Kree'arra counts as an aviansie for the purposes of slayer tasks, this is an inaccuracy introduced by OSRS on or around 2014-03-06 (https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Kree ... did=200818). Further evidence that Kree'arra did not count towards slayer tasks between 2010 and 2012 is the absence of focus sight/full slayer helm as a recommendation on https://runescape.wiki/w/Kree'arra/Stra ... id=6510518.

I think the most meta-affecting aspect of this would be the capability to use slayer helm on Graardor and the Corporeal beast (mainly for the accuracy), as most of the other bosses are either already task-assignable (KQ, KBD, K'ril), or cannot safely be done with melee (Kree, Zilyana, Jad). The remaining bosses (TDs, Mole, Chaos elemental) counterindicate slayer helm for other reasons (void being optimal at TDs, dharok's being optimal at mole, and slayer helm being risky at chaos elemental).

It's probably worth noting that the proposed reward is essentially 7 death runes per boss kill (250/35). On one hand, this feels kind of trivial, on the other hand, anything more would probably have additional balance concerns.

I don't think this should be done, due to the aforementioned concerns, and that it's essentially an anachronistic backport of 2014 content (https://runescape.wiki/w/Update:Soul_Reaper).