[Suggestion] Clan Chat IP Limit

Provide feedback about the project and/or the forums!
Sia
Froob

[Suggestion] Clan Chat IP Limit

Post by Sia »

I'd like to suggest that there be a limit of 1 account per IP address in the Clan Chat.

The significance of this would be that players would not have to question who is an alt and who is a main, as some people play many accounts at once.

It's difficult to tell who's an alt when many accounts in the cc never say a word.

Thanks for any consideration.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Clan Chat IP Limit

Post by Ceikry »

I'm not sure what particular benefits this could bring.

Mind expanding on your reasoning? Curious if others have input as well.
Nerds
whoosh
Noob

Post by whoosh »

I'm against the idea because I think it's nice having a fuller cc for when new players join. It will (and does) give them a sense that the server is more active (which I've seen several new players comment about as a concern).
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

whoosh wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 am I'm against the idea because I think it's nice having a fuller cc for when new players join. It will (and does) give them a sense that the server is more active (which I've seen several new players comment about as a concern).
In my experience, players who immediately express concern about player counts are rarely what you would call "high-quality users" regardless. Many of them wind up getting themselves banned for a plethora of disrespect and/or cheating related reasons. I keep note of it mentally because it's proven itself to always be a red flag and a good reason to keep a closer eye on a particular player.
Nerds
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

I'm not a fan of unnecessary limits, this is one of those limits likely to cause more harm than benefit
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

Ceikry wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:40 am I'm not sure what particular benefits this could bring.

Mind expanding on your reasoning? Curious if others have input as well.
I play fairly frequently, and daily I see many new faces. Way more than are unique individuals. I personally like adding every new face to my friend's list, but it's at the point that in the past month and a half or so of playing again, my friend's list is HUGE, but 90% of the names on it seem to be alts. I just think it'd be nicer to see only unique players rather than 5 accounts by 1 person, 3 by another, 2 by 3 others, and so on, as seeing a chat look more full does not increase the quality of one's experience unless they convince themselves that they need a huge player-base to stick around and enjoy said server. If that is the case, then they will eventually find out anyway that the player-base is 2/3 alts, so it's best to just let them know that from the start. Nobody that alts talks on their alts in the cc as it is unless it's the only account they're currently logged into, from what I've seen.

ryannathans wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:14 am I'm not a fan of unnecessary limits, this is one of those limits likely to cause more harm than benefit
Personally, the only "harm" I see that this could possibly cause is the cc looking less full.

If someone needs to see a longer list of random names that aren't speaking etc just to enjoy their own experience in the game or to stick around, they obviously aren't a high-quality player, as Ceikry stated.