When Did Rs3 Go Downhill?

Discussion of RuneScape 3
Sia
Froob

When Did Rs3 Go Downhill?

Post by Sia »

Everyone has different opinions as to when RuneScape went downhill.

What was it that drew the line for you?

(Eoc, trade cap, removal of bh craters, etc.)

Personally, It was shortly before the trade cap that ruined the game for me.
Sia
Froob

Re: When Did Rs3 Go Downhill?

Post by Sia »

Summer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:46 am With 2017-2019 having the additions of Mining/Smithing Rework, Player Owned Farms, Menaphos with tons of lore to the desert, Deep sea fishing and more added. I don't really see how it went downhill. I would say Rs3 has been getting better with time but started off super rocky. My opinion comes from a skiller who played on hardcore ironman mode.
I am referencing way back when. Rs3 has been improving it's quality/content over the past handful of years.

I moretheless meant when did original RuneScape 2 go from being the game we all loved to turning into RuneScape 3, which is now an entirely different game basically.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Sia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:40 am
Summer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:46 am With 2017-2019 having the additions of Mining/Smithing Rework, Player Owned Farms, Menaphos with tons of lore to the desert, Deep sea fishing and more added. I don't really see how it went downhill. I would say Rs3 has been getting better with time but started off super rocky. My opinion comes from a skiller who played on hardcore ironman mode.
I am referencing way back when. Rs3 has been improving it's quality/content over the past handful of years.

I moretheless meant when did original RuneScape 2 go from being the game we all loved to turning into RuneScape 3, which is now an entirely different game basically.
I'll take liberties to use this response to rephrase your question into "When did RuneScape, in general, go downhill?"
I would say late 2011/early 2012. It had some unfavorable changes before this point already, but this is when it really started getting bad. Squeal of Fortune, soulless holiday events, hideous UI changes (718), loyalty points, the list could frankly go on. It's when it started diverging from "an MMO that feels different from every other MMO" (which is what a lot of us loved) and started adopting practices that made it feel more and more like any other MMO.
Nerds
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

JagexScape and all Jagex owned derivatives have been on a clear downward trajectory since at least 2007. All successes since then have been purely accidental
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

Ceikry wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:38 pm

I'll take liberties to use this response to rephrase your question into "When did RuneScape, in general, go downhill?"
I would say late 2011/early 2012. It had some unfavorable changes before this point already, but this is when it really started getting bad. Squeal of Fortune, soulless holiday events, hideous UI changes (718), loyalty points, the list could frankly go on. It's when it started diverging from "an MMO that feels different from every other MMO" (which is what a lot of us loved) and started adopting practices that made it feel more and more like any other MMO.
By RuneScape 3, I meant RuneScape in general, as RuneScape 3 was originally RuneScape, and OSRS is technically a game of it's own that branched off of a backdated version of original RuneScape (ignoring RSC ofc).

2011 was decent imo at the start, such as Darkan rsps is imo, a good era. I personally quit in 2011, however there were many updates prior to that, that were not in the best interest of the players I feel.

That was a major key in the downfall I believe...When they started making it feel like a knock-off WoW.

Summer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm Then why are you here lol @bracket if you find this to be a downfall. 2008 with beginning of summoning is what saved RS. Pking was bound to die in general like it does in most mmos
Summoning truly did help revitalize the game.

Yes, PvP does tend to die in most MMOs fairly fast, yet RuneScape PvP was ALWAYS thriving. They destroyed their own PvP, rather than it just dying off. It was flourishing when they added the wilderness ditch, removed pking, and even after Summoning when Ancient Curses and summoning were involved, it was still very active.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Sia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 pm

By RuneScape 3, I meant RuneScape in general, as RuneScape 3 was originally RuneScape, and OSRS is technically a game of it's own that branched off of a backdated version of original RuneScape (ignoring RSC ofc).

2011 was decent imo at the start, such as Darkan rsps is imo, a good era. I personally quit in 2011, however there were many updates prior to that, that were not in the best interest of the players I feel.

That was a major key in the downfall I believe...When they started making it feel like a knock-off WoW.

Summer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:48 pm Then why are you here lol @bracket if you find this to be a downfall. 2008 with beginning of summoning is what saved RS. Pking was bound to die in general like it does in most mmos

Yes, PvP does tend to die in most MMOs fairly fast, yet RuneScape PvP was ALWAYS thriving. They destroyed their own PvP, rather than it just dying off. It was flourishing when they added the wilderness ditch, removed pking, and even after Summoning when Ancient Curses and summoning were involved, it was still very active.
I can't believe I still have to clarify this after the fact. They had no choice but to remove PvP, etc. They were being threatened by the govt. with gambling/rwt lawsuits, etc. And the UK govt was trying to argue that things like PvP facilitated and encouraged the RWT. This is the same reason the trade limit was added. They literally had no choice.
Nerds
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

Ceikry wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:13 pm
Sia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 pm

I can't believe I still have to clarify this after the fact. They had no choice but to remove PvP, etc. They were being threatened by the govt. with gambling/rwt lawsuits, etc. And the UK govt was trying to argue that things like PvP facilitated and encouraged the RWT. This is the same reason the trade limit was added. They literally had no choice.
Do not recall hearing that the government etc were threatening them due to gambling, but that sounds very realistic. Probably heard about it way back when.

But how come the bringing back of 2007-era Scape with PvP was perfectly fine then? Just curious.
SZUMASTER
Noob

Post by SZUMASTER »

I have played since I was a kid. I ended up when my computer couldn't turn on the game, and when it did, it was impossible to play because of the requirements. I could be wrong, but I went back when they introduced free worlds in the old version. So many years, so many memories, and some whore took it away because of fucking money.

Thanks to this topic you have reminded me. i sent a request in order to unlock my first character. After i get answer from them i upload here screenshot.
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

SZUMASTER wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:47 am I have played since I was a kid. I ended up when my computer couldn't turn on the game, and when it did, it was impossible to play because of the requirements. I could be wrong, but I went back when they introduced free worlds in the old version. So many years, so many memories, and some whore took it away because of fucking money.

Thanks to this topic you have reminded me. i sent a request in order to unlock my first character. After i get answer from them i upload here screenshot.
Uhh, what?

Gl getting it unlocked. I got my old account unlocked after suicide botting it til a few lvls off of max. Appealed a year ago after like 8-9yrs of it being banned/locked and they approved/unlocked it in under 20 hours surprisingly.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Sia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:35 pm But how come the bringing back of 2007-era Scape with PvP was perfectly fine then? Just curious.
Because that happened roughly 5 years later when cases had already come and gone with other games/companies and it was likely safer for jagex to do so.
Nerds