Wildy PvP & revenants.

General discussion
DebbySaurus
Noob

Wildy PvP & revenants.

Post by DebbySaurus »

I know it's been voted on before to keep pvp in the wilderness despite '09 did not have wilderness pvp.
But this vote was done before we had functioning revenants, and there are plenty of them.
I think its something worth discussing about again to see how the majority feels about it.

I'm sure the thrill of pvp is big for many people, but we have duel arena for the pvp when desired.

In my opinion unprovoked pvp would only cause frictions and snowball into drama in a small community like us.
Before the whole "wildy is a risk, don't go if you don't want the losses" argument gets brought up, it's not about the loot or risks, it's about the idea of killing each other for no other reason than to annoy them for your own enjoyment.

What do you guys think?
whoosh
Noob

Re: Wildy PvP & revenants.

Post by whoosh »

The first argument I think is that now we have revenants and therefore the wilderness has a level of "danger". That's true to a certain degree, revs do hit hard and if you're low on food you may very well die. They will not loot your stuff though, you just run back and you've lost nothing. So revenants really provide very little threat to "losing" gear.

The second argument is that we're a small community and someone pking people could cause friction. I agree unprovoked PVP definitely does cause friction but, at the same time, I could crash you at a boss. That would equally cause friction.

The guy above, "colinee1" does some pking, and a user "here to live" is also known to do pking (may be the same person). I think that's great, colinee1 has also crashed me at bosses, so now I have a rival. I want to catch him out, I especially want to catch him when he's vulnerable :) perhaps doing a clue or so. Yes, I want to do this to annoy him but I'm not about to start drama over it.

Your last point was to rebut "wildy is a risk, don't go if you don't want the losses". What difference to you (in annoyance) is it that a rev or a pker kills you? If you were being truthful, you don't like the pker killing you because they'll take your loot as well.
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

From my perspective, PvP is not QoL, it's probably buggy as it's untouched arios - and it's inauthentic to 2009

Having PvP reduces the incentive for implementation of bounty hunter, clan wars, or other PvP minigames.
aweinstock
Developer

Post by aweinstock »

Clanwars red portal has no level restrictions (so maxed mains can attack pures), and has no equivalent to unskulled pvp. Bounty Hunter, in addition to not having an equivalent to unskulled, has circumstances that disable the protect item prayer, making it vastly more dangerous to bring an expensive special attack weapon. Neither completely subsume wilderness pvp.

If we're going the full authenticity route here, CW red should delete the items of players that die instead of allowing their items to be looted, as there was no free trade. (It looks like BH avoided being used to bypass the trade restriction by requring that people be capable of using the items they brought, and only allowing one of each kind of item, and having the pickup penalty for rogues).
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

DebbySaurus wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:47 am I know it's been voted on before to keep pvp in the wilderness despite '09 did not have wilderness pvp.
But this vote was done before we had functioning revenants, and there are plenty of them.
I think its something worth discussing about again to see how the majority feels about it.

I'm sure the thrill of pvp is big for many people, but we have duel arena for the pvp when desired.

In my opinion unprovoked pvp would only cause frictions and snowball into drama in a small community like us.
Before the whole "wildy is a risk, don't go if you don't want the losses" argument gets brought up, it's not about the loot or risks, it's about the idea of killing each other for no other reason than to annoy them for your own enjoyment.

What do you guys think?
PvP was a major content of RuneScape in general. It was removed for a bogus reason (imo) and shouldn't have been removed whatsoever.

It doesn't necessarily impact the gameplay, assuming everyone has a brain enough to just not risk or rag in the wilderness when doing clues/dragons for slayer, or even revenants.

I have spent 2 of the past 3 weeks (roughly) in the wilderness literally doing nothing but living at the Revenants, killing them for charms/mats/profit. I was attacked 1 time out of the entire Revenant binge by 1 player, and I wasn't even impacted by it, nor did I lose my gear/loot to them.

PvP in this era is so easy to not die in, it's unreal. If you're that worried about dying, simply bring a few brews/karambwan, some sharks and a teleport. (lol)

No matter the era, a server, even a remake of this 09 era, is not complete without PvP (imo).

If you do not like PvP, then stay out of the wilderness, or do not risk anything and use protect item. Problem Solved.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

whoosh wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:05 am The first argument I think is that now we have revenants and therefore the wilderness has a level of "danger". That's true to a certain degree, revs do hit hard and if you're low on food you may very well die. They will not loot your stuff though, you just run back and you've lost nothing. So revenants really provide very little threat to "losing" gear.
I disagree on this, once the grave timers are corrected, people will have much less time to get back to their stuff.
Nerds
Sia
Froob

Post by Sia »

Summer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:34 pm
Sia wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:09 am
DebbySaurus wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:47 am I know it's been voted on before to keep pvp in the wilderness despite '09 did not have wilderness pvp.

What do you guys think?
PvP was a major content of RuneScape in general. It was removed for a bogus reason (imo) and shouldn't have been removed whatsoever.

It doesn't necessarily impact the gameplay, assuming everyone has a brain enough to just not risk or rag in the wilderness when doing clues/dragons for slayer, or even revenants.

I have spent 2 of the past 3 weeks (roughly) in the wilderness literally doing nothing but living at the Revenants, killing them for charms/mats/profit. I was attacked 1 time out of the entire Revenant binge by 1 player, and I wasn't even impacted by it, nor did I lose my gear/loot to them.

PvP in this era is so easy to not die in, it's unreal. If you're that worried about dying, simply bring a few brews/karambwan, some sharks and a teleport. (lol)

No matter the era, a server, even a remake of this 09 era, is not complete without PvP (imo).

If you do not like PvP, then stay out of the wilderness, or do not risk anything and use protect item. Problem Solved.
Only thing I disagree with is removed for a bogus reason. Owning a business is hard and deciding the best ways to counter something is part of that.
By "bogus reason", I was referencing what Ceikry said the other day on another thread, being that there were legal repercussions that lead them to remove it.

@OP, Revenants aren't even that much of a risk if you're geared properly, as-well as even though revenants were redone, they existed from basically the start of 2009Scape and were always a "threat".

The Duel Arena does not suffice when it comes to PvP, as the wilderness provides a risk/gain/loss potential that is unknown beyond what one can see being worn, unlike the duel arena requiring a known stake being offered from the start. As-well as the wilderness offers a terrain of trees and objects to utilize to your advantage, rather than just a little wall of "obstacles" in the Duel Arena.

Having Revenants does not mean suddenly the majority that voted in favor of keeping wilderness PvP will want to rid of it due to a few npcs that honestly, do not pose a major threat, are lurking around.

Especially once the Forinthry bracelet is functioning properly, which's content allows players to ignore Teleblock if done by a revenant, allowing them to teleport away (assuming the wilderness level permits such action).

Again I say, if you are that worried you will be Pk'd, don't enter the wilderness or enter with no risk.
zencro
Staff

Post by zencro »

I realize I'm relatively new here and as such perhaps my thought don't carry much weight.

I played the original game throughout its incarnations from the summer of '01 to 2020.
That being said, the entire PK culture has, in my observations over the years, repeatedly caused issues in the original game's player base.

It was not authentic to 2009 and does not provide a QOL bonus (rather the opposite is true IMO).

I would only support PVP being brought back if it was limited to a separate server/world.
It would be damaging to the player base to force players that did not want to participate in such an activity to lose access to the content in the wilderness areas.
Instead of growing the player base (which I assume is the desire here) it would likely result in it losing otherwise fine players.

In the end it is entirely up to the owner(s), devs, and admins where they want to take the game, but that's just my 2 cents.
We must all learn to embrace our own inner newbishness...
Email: [email protected]
between3and20
Froob

Wildy PvP & revenants

Post by between3and20 »

Humans hurt the most, not revenants, I'll always help as I'm in the game to cross the wilderness to anyone who asks before entering the area.
► Show Spoiler
btw, the revenant will not take damage if you flick the prayer properly,
just don't panic at the sight of it.

PvP has always been around and has never been removed from the official servers,
which is why there is a designated area for it since 2001 year,
unless admin's replace hard clue with easy clue, pvp = true.
zencro
Staff

Post by zencro »

PvP has always been around and has never been removed from the official servers,
which is why there is a designated area for it since 2001 year,
The discussion is about PVP being enabled for the entire wilderness area, not just the specialized areas such as Fist of Guthix/Duel Arena/ etc.
According to an archived Jag announcement during 2009 such activity was reserved for specialized separate worlds designated as PVP.
Again, according to an archived Jag announcement, this was not changed until 1 February 2011.

This why I'd only support it if it was relegated to separately designated worlds as it was during 2009.
We must all learn to embrace our own inner newbishness...
Email: [email protected]