99 Range Skillcape Perk Rework

Various development-related discussions
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: 99 Range Skillcape Perk Rework

Post by Ceikry »

I'm quite aware, it's still pretty balanced.
Nerds
Nie
Noob

Post by Nie »

Another idea... Ranged Cape [a]
Requires: Animal Magnetism, 85 crafting? for a custom miniquest.
Incorporates Ava's device as an addon to the cape, instead of replacing it, making it mandatory to achieve and acquire.

Potentially sets groundwork for further work on cape "addons" - I'm sure unlocking each separately, with a uniquely dreamt-up purpose for each skillcape/lore would make this not only interesting & set 09scape apart from other servers, but interest otherwise unimpressed players, without adding any powercreep[they're 99 capes, afterall], and in turn adding flavor without destroying previous content... Heh, I'm asking for too much, though, aren't I?... Balancing would need to be done carefully.

Side note, every other combat cape, prayer included, and probably summoning when it comes, adds a combat stat of some sort. Magic cape is very gimped in comparison currently.
aweinstock
Developer

Post by aweinstock »

Idea: Instead of increasing accuracy by 10%, ranging skillcape decreases accuracy by 10%, decreases attack delay by one tick, and destroys ammo shot with it (in the same way that bolt racks fail to appear on the ground without ava's devices).
Nie
Noob

Post by Nie »

aweinstock wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:41 pm Idea: Instead of increasing accuracy by 10%, ranging skillcape decreases accuracy by 10%, decreases attack delay by one tick, and destroys ammo shot with it (in the same way that bolt racks fail to appear on the ground without ava's devices).
o_o +1.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Nie wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:33 pm Another idea... Ranged Cape [a]
Requires: Animal Magnetism, 85 crafting? for a custom miniquest.
Incorporates Ava's device as an addon to the cape, instead of replacing it, making it mandatory to achieve and acquire.

Potentially sets groundwork for further work on cape "addons" - I'm sure unlocking each separately, with a uniquely dreamt-up purpose for each skillcape/lore would make this not only interesting & set 09scape apart from other servers, but interest otherwise unimpressed players, without adding any powercreep[they're 99 capes, afterall], and in turn adding flavor without destroying previous content... Heh, I'm asking for too much, though, aren't I?... Balancing would need to be done carefully.

Side note, every other combat cape, prayer included, and probably summoning when it comes, adds a combat stat of some sort. Magic cape is very gimped in comparison currently.
This still replaces ava's.
If wearing the cape is ever a strictly better choice than wearing ava's, it's not balanced.
Nerds
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

To further elaborate: the ideal point of balance for any custom item is that you have a hard choice choosing between it and an authentic item. It should have to be an internal debate, as they should be equally viable for different reasons.
Nerds
Nie
Noob

Post by Nie »

Situationally best in slot vs better overall. Understood. Destroy the ammo! Ramp up the dps at the cost of millions! I love awe's idea better than anything else yet.

Edit: So much for onyx bolt break-even/profit at corp ;) Profit/hr+33%?
Von Hresvelg
Froob

Post by Von Hresvelg »

For the record, I told EVERYONE that having both effects was going to get denied by Ceikry, but they still wanted both. :|
Nie
Noob

Post by Nie »

Because it's both possible and logical and also not op. I knew you were right ;< But we had to push. @awe's idea tho?
mab
Noob

Post by mab »

Unless it's gwd or some high level revs, the current range cape is just outclassed by avas overall. If supplies like enchanted bolts weren't a struggle to obtain (as someone with like 8k addy bolts and enough diamonds to make twice as many), I see no worth in using them unless it's a zilyana or kree, only one of which I'd bother to pick up ammunition, and both I'd lose them faster than I could hope to replace. On the other hand, it's really good when using weapons like kbow, crystal bow, chins etc because you're not constantly thinking about the ammo lost lol.

Edit: however, my gwd info is anecdotal, I myself have only tried the cape at TDs and revs, TDs not being worth because of getting in melee range to pick up bolts before they despawn (I range/mage them) and revs being pretty damn good actually. Might try gwd at a later date