Opening Thanos.jar and nothing happens

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
Petnavi
Froob

Opening Thanos.jar and nothing happens

Post by Petnavi »

I've only ever have been able to open Thanos once, and that was when I had first downloaded it. Every time since then, even after a computer restart, I click on it and nothing happens as if there's a process open and it refuses to open another process of it. I can see in the task manager that it'll open up a Java instance and then within a second self-terminate. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Opening Thanos.jar and nothing happens

Post by Red Bracket »

Petnavi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 pm I've only ever have been able to open Thanos once, and that was when I had first downloaded it. Every time since then, even after a computer restart, I click on it and nothing happens as if there's a process open and it refuses to open another process of it. I can see in the task manager that it'll open up a Java instance and then within a second self-terminate. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?
You can try running it from the command line with

Code: Select all

java -jar Thanos.jar
This will tell you why opening Thanos causes nothing to happen.

Although it's my opinion that Thanos isn't *super* needed anymore and you can edit the .json by hand if you're comfortable doing that, since MRs automatically validate JSONs now
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Using thanos tool is necessary for more reasons than just JSON correctness, we still will not accept MRs with evidence of manual edits, and your validator already failed to catch one instance of an issue.
Nerds
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

This is the error I'm given

Code: Select all

$ java -jar Thanostool.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.list.DarkListUIBridge (in unnamed module @0x7e9131d5) cannot access class sun.swing.DefaultLookup (in module java.desktop) because module java.desktop does not export sun.swing to unnamed module @0x7e9131d5
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.list.DarkListUIBridge.getInputMap(DarkListUIBridge.java:618)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.list.DarkListUIBridge.installKeyboardActions(DarkListUIBridge.java:406)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.list.DarkListUIBridge.installUI(DarkListUIBridge.java:595)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.list.DarkListUI.installUI(DarkListUI.java:57)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(JComponent.java:740)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JList.setUI(JList.java:553)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JList.updateUI(JList.java:571)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JList.<init>(JList.java:466)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$1.<init>(BasicComboPopup.java:532)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.createList(BasicComboPopup.java:532)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.combobox.DarkComboPopup.createList(DarkComboPopup.java:64)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.<init>(BasicComboPopup.java:368)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.combobox.DarkComboPopup.<init>(DarkComboPopup.java:59)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.combobox.DarkComboBoxUI.createPopup(DarkComboBoxUI.java:151)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboBoxUI.installUI(BasicComboBoxUI.java:294)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComboBox.setUI(JComboBox.java:295)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComboBox.updateUI(JComboBox.java:307)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComboBox.init(JComboBox.java:266)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComboBox.<init>(JComboBox.java:260)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.filechooser.DarkFileChooserUI$3.<init>(DarkFileChooserUI.java:238)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.filechooser.DarkFileChooserUI.createDirectoryComboBox(DarkFileChooserUI.java:238)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.filechooser.DarkFileChooserUI.createTopPanel(DarkFileChooserUI.java:226)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.filechooser.DarkFileChooserUI.installComponents(DarkFileChooserUI.java:87)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installUI(BasicFileChooserUI.java:245)
        at com.github.weisj.darklaf.ui.filechooser.DarkFileChooserUIBridge.installUI(DarkFileChooserUIBridge.java:135)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFileChooser.updateUI(JFileChooser.java:1841)
        at MainScreen$dirChooser$1.updateUI(MainScreen.kt:15)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(JFileChooser.java:397)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(JFileChooser.java:376)
        at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(JFileChooser.java:325)
        at MainScreen$dirChooser$1.<init>(MainScreen.kt:12)
        at MainScreen.<clinit>(MainScreen.kt:12)
        at MainScreenKt.main(MainScreen.kt:150)
        at MainScreenKt.main(MainScreen.kt)
[13:57:07] [INFO] Saving user preferences...
[13:57:07] [INFO] User preferences saved!
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Alright, the problem is immediately apparent then. The first time you ran it, you did so with the correct version (8 or 11), and now when you run it, it's being ran with incorrect, bad versions of java (anything past 11)
Nerds
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:27 pm Using thanos tool is necessary for more reasons than just JSON correctness, we still will not accept MRs with evidence of manual edits, and your validator already failed to catch one instance of an issue.
Which issue? The validator checks for a valid JSON, if the code is looking for things more specific than simple JSON validation then there's bigger issues
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Red Bracket wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:06 pm if the code is looking for things more specific than simple JSON validation then there's bigger issues
I, too, think strings should be ints whenever they feel like it inconsistently, etc.
Nerds
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 pm Alright, the problem is immediately apparent then. The first time you ran it, you did so with the correct version (8 or 11), and now when you run it, it's being ran with incorrect, bad versions of java (anything past 11)
So I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm unsure what exactly. I uninstalled the java installations I had and reinstalled Java pic related

I've gone into the respective's bin folder of each java version and opened Thanos with the Java.exe, Javaw.exe, and Javaws.exe and haven't gotten it to work. The weirdest part is now when I do the java -jar Thanos.jar command I get nothing

Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Calling in Windows tech support, @bushtail

This is definitely a windows issue, pet.
Nerds
bushtail
Tech Support

Post by bushtail »

Here we go.

Windows key search for "Edit the system environment variables".

There, click on the "Environment Variables..." key in the bottom right.

In the bottom pane, "System Variables", you're going to want to double-click on the "Path" variable.

Get rid of ANY JDK or JRE entries that are not Java 11.

Let me know if this doesn't work.
Resident chad Winblows user