Completely new to this, would like some assistance getting started

Various development-related discussions
Petnavi
Froob

Completely new to this, would like some assistance getting started

Post by Petnavi »

Hey guys, I just managed to get Thanos up and running and I want to help contribute. Problem is I'm completely new to this and know next to nothing about Kotlin, but thankfully while I learn kotlin I can still use Thanos to fix issues that I've found. I've made my fork at https://gitlab.com/petnavis/09-dev and made a branch in order to fix the first issue I think I've ever made: https://gitlab.com/2009scape/2009scape/-/issues/860 and would also like to fix another issue that seems simple enough to fix: https://gitlab.com/2009scape/2009scape/-/issues/879.

So I got Thanos running and I opened up the DT for Rockslugs. I went to their DT and set the Min and Max Amt of charms to 0 deleted their charm table (because setting them to min/max 0 made them drop nothing) since they should not have ever been able to drop any charms much less one of the four charms 100% of the time. I also went in and modified the mystic glove ID it drop to light instead of I think blue that it was since they should be dropping light as shown in https://runescape.wiki/w/Rock_slug?oldid=894270 and https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Rock ... did=298458 (OSRS wiki showed blue gloves while the RS3 one shows light which I think why the error was made.)

I did roll 500 and got dwarf remains in the loot, any idea why? Is that a stand-in for a "Nothing" drop? Assuming it is I think it's time to do a MR, right? I have an issue. Where the FUCK is my branch located. My bash says I'm at the rockslugDT branch that I made following the direction on git-basics but when I click on merge requests and new merge request I can't find the source branch anywhere.

Let me know if I'm just doing things completely fucking wrong, like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm just stumbling forward trying to contribute. Also let me know if this should be in another thread
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Completely new to this, would like some assistance getting started

Post by Ceikry »

you haven't followed the `push` step.
you need to push your changes from your local repo to your remote repo (the one hosted on gitlab)
Nerds
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

If I'm thinking of this correctly, I need to add my gitlab as an upstream to my branches just like I added the 2009scape as an upstream for my master so I can push the changes from my branch to my master?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

no, your fork is already your upstream, that happens when you clone something.
your fork is called "origin"
"git push origin branch-name"
Nerds
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

Anything look off to you here?

I don't think it should say rockslugDT -> rockslugDT but instead rockslugDT -> 09 Dev since that's my master
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

did you commit any changes to the branch before trying to push committed changes?
Nerds
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

No, I did not.

I feel like git add --all isn't the right move since I just want to commit the changes I did to the drop_tables.json but when I tried doing

Code: Select all

$ git add C:\Users\Ateryk\09-dev\Server\data\configs\drop_tables.json
it gave

fatal: C:UsersAteryk09-devServerdataconfigsdrop_tables.json: 'C:UsersAteryk09-devServerdataconfigsdrop_tables.json' is outside repository at 'C:/Users/Ateryk/09-dev'
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

Petnavi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:44 am fatal: C:UsersAteryk09-devServerdataconfigsdrop_tables.json: 'C:UsersAteryk09-devServerdataconfigsdrop_tables.json' is outside repository at 'C:/Users/Ateryk/09-dev'
You've got some bad Windows pathing issues going on. Use

Code: Select all

$ git add "C:\Users\Ateryk\09-dev\Server\data\configs\drop_tables.json"
(with quotes) to add a single file
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

I'm going to backtrack a bit here to make sure I understand how this process works. I need to use the terminal to open Thanos by doing java -jar thanostool.jar and then on another terminal I'm navigating through my folders. I was wondering how the hell am I going to make changes with Thanos tool since I had assumed that it makes changes to my master which would affect every single branch. I used Thanos while in my master and noticed my rockslug DT was unchanged (drops charms) and then exited thanos and went to my branch called actualrockslugsDT then opened thanos and checked the drop_tables.json and it had all of my changes with no charms dropped and correct gloves.

So my mind is a bit blown. Does Thanos knows which branch I'm on in ANOTHER terminal and when I make changes with it it only changes the current branch I'm on?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Thanos and git have nothing to do with eachother. Thanos edits files. Git keeps track of changes to files. I'm not sure what the point of confusion here is. All Thanos does is modify files. It is then up to you to commit your changes to those files to git. Git does not automatically do this. It is a good thing that git does not automatically do this.

Thanos cannot modify your git branch. Thanos cannot commit files to git for you. Thanos cannot do anything besides edit files.

You cannot have two branches checked out at once in git. That's not how git works. When you check out a branch in git, it changes your local files to match what is in that branch.

Changes to your master do not affect every single branch. Not automatically.

You do not have changes to your master until you've committed those changes.

You do not need to use the terminal to open thanos tool.

When you checked out actualrockslugDT or whatever, the local files were changed to reflect the changes in that branch, which include the changes you made. You then reopened thanos, and it read your local files, and showed you what was in your local files.
Nerds