99 Fletching Skillcape Perk Discussion

Various development-related discussions
Petnavi
Froob

99 Fletching Skillcape Perk Discussion

Post by Petnavi »

I saw the 99 range thread and it reminded me of the discussion that we had with Ceikry a week ago about how the fletching cape has no perk and how we all threw around ideas for the perk.

Lets start with what fletching is. It essentially is a supplemental skill to archery and most people's interaction with it will be making arrows, bolts, or bows. The range cape has its niche of being just a flat DPS increase due to its accuracy bonus while Ava's accumulator also gives range attack bonus of +4 but also has the ammo recovery rate. Ceikry has stated he doesn't want any skillcape perk stepping on authentic items so while adding ava's to the fletching cape seems like it's fitting it's not an option and without touching the raw DPS niche of the range cape these are my ideas.

The first and laziest one would be to make bolts (e) have an increase in chance activation just like how the seers diary in post-09 RS3 and OSRS have. I think this is a nice feature and gives it a good niche that doesn't have too much overlap with the range cape or ava's but I feel like it's still pretty lame and should be coupled with something else which leads to...

Giving Javelins a damn purpose instead of being dead content. Inspired from the str cape of increasing str bonuses for weapons that require str, I think the fletching skill should give these bad boys some sort of niche. In OSRS they were eventually turned into ammo to be used with ballistas but we don't have that, so what can we do? Well, what are Javelins irl and what are they known for? A javelin is basically a throwing spear that's long and thin and will pierce right through people. So it should be good at hitting high defense monsters. I propose that Javelins get a big accuracy bonus and a DPS increase while using the fletching cape. The RCB has a lot of utility in the form of bolts (e) so giving a very simple alternative that's more consistent damage but with less pay off so the RCB will be a wepaon that has higher highs but lower lows than Javelins so maybe in the beginning you'd use your RCB to get some ruby bolt (e) and some diamond (e) hits but when you need to finish off a monster you can switch to Javelins since you know you'll be hitting a lot more often than the RCB.

Another thing would be since you're a master of making bolts you could increase the power of bolts below addy to be at adamant level power IF they're enchanted. A lot of bolts (e) have really, really neat effects like the Jade bolts are a snare, Pearl bolts are basically dragonfire except on anything that's fire related i.e. dragons, fire giants, pyrefiends, and even players with "fiery garments" which I assume would be the fire cape along with fire staves if the wiki to to be believed. There is a lot of super cool content that people don't use because dps go brrr and you can't justify something that's less than half as powerful as a broad bolt if not worse. An alternative to this would require way too much coding and may be too custom content but it could be just allowing players to add any sort of bolt tips to addy bolts if they're 99 fletching and make them untradable kinda like dragon bolts in OSRS.

My final proposal would be to give bows some sort of power increase to make them viable since the vast majority of people who use fletching will be making all sorts of bows. You lose a lot of stats and utility by being unable to use a shield and the pay off for it, the magic short bow, falls flat. A potential buff could be to give a massive power increase to the magic shortbow and a moderate accuracy increase to it while giving a massive accuracy increase and a moderate power increase to the magic longbow.

I'm not a coder, I do not know how feasible any of these options are or what they entail, but since I'm about to get 99 fletching soon I would very much like my first skillcape to have SOME perk to it :D