Quests

Various development-related discussions
Questy
Noob

Quests

Post by Questy »

First of all, i want to share that i think it is amazing to see how 2009scape has evolved. I am following the forums and the development for quite a while now and i notice that everyone puts in a lot of effort to make it as authentic as possible.

I am though wondering what the upcoming ideas are for new quest implementations. I have seen the post with the quest priorities and i am really looking forward to see one or two being implemented.

Are there currently any quests in development?
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: Quests

Post by Red Bracket »

Nice name :lol:

The project is open source so development usually happens when someone's bored and codes stuff. No quests are being worked on to my knowledge, but if you have a friend who knows how to code, maybe you can bug them into writing the quest for you :P
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Quests take a long time to write, and are not particularly enjoyable to write. In fact, they're incredibly tedious.

So even though there's some being worked on, most people aren't excited to do it:
- Creature of Fenkenstrain
- Death Plateau
- Fight Arena
- Temple of Ikov

Are all quests I know to have been worked on recently.
Nerds
Questy
Noob

Post by Questy »

Thanks for all the replies,

i am thinking, since the implementation of a quest could almost be regarded as a project on its own. Would it be usefull if we open a topic within the development forum for each quest that is being worked on? Within these specific topics we can share eachothers work for a quest. What i am seeing now on the gitlab part, is that there are a lot of dialogue files made for various quests (but this might get lost if a developer does not check all the gitlab commitments (mostly in the issues tab)). I can also imagine that a person is very willingly to help with a certain part of code, but not with another part of code (because of skills, or time or etc.). This makes it possibly (too) difficult to implement quests for a person with less skills and therefore it might not really be that it is picked up a lot.

Within these topics, we could list a first message stat states all the documents that have to be written and in the replies under it, the people can reply with their files. If all the files are submitted, someone with more skills and that has more of a helicopter view (with regard to the whole project) can take all the files together and make the final implementation.
Petnavi
Froob

Post by Petnavi »

Questy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:43 pm Would it be usefull if we open a topic within the development forum for each quest that is being worked on? Within these specific topics we can share eachothers work for a quest.
Be the change you want to see. The worst than can happen is no one participates in your thread. As Ceikry said it's a volunteer project so he can't really force people to do things like participate in a specific thread but the chances someone does spikes up if someone takes the initiative to make the thread and reach out to the quest devs.