[Plan] Credit System Rework

Various development-related discussions
Ceikry
Site Admin

[Plan] Credit System Rework

Post by Ceikry »

Hello, as some of you may or may not know we recently ended voting as a way to obtain credits.
We left it somewhat vague at the time because we wanted it to be a surprise, but we've been planning an overhaul of the credit system!

In terms of gaining credits, only 2 things will remain the same - we plan to continue incentivizing contributions and testing the most. However, we want to move the rest of the methods for claiming credits completely ingame.

Credits were always meant to be a way to reward people for contributing in one way or another, and voting never really did that for us. Voting never did much for the server or the project as a whole because it hardly ever attracted any new people.

So, we came to the conclusion that rewarding people for simply being active in the game would be much better.

What does this mean, exactly?
We want to keep a lot of the same balances we had before in order to not have to change credit shop prices too much, but the current things we have planned follow roughly as below:

Ingame Method 1: Simply Playing
Users will gain a credit for each hour played, up to 3 times per day. (We don't want to allow much more to avoid incentivizing merely idling on an account or bypassing AFK limits - plus we don't think spending all of your free time on the computer is healthy! :P)

Ingame Method 2: Mini-goals
I plan to make the mini-goal system pretty broad in the long term. In the short term, however, it will be fairly simple: users will be able to generate random skill goals (e.g gain 15k woodcutting xp) that award 1 credit when completed. They will be able to complete up to 3 of these a day as well.

In total, this means active players who play often will be able to gain up to 6 credits per day! We do plan to rebalance the amount of credits given for testing and contributing to make up for this, as well as rebalance some of the shop prices. It won't be a massive difference, but we also don't want to devalue the shop items, nor devalue contribution/testing.

When can we expect this change?
I plan to start implementing the actual code for this change this weekend, and then wrap it up no later than the following week. Then it will need to go through testing, etc. Ideally, you can expect to see this live within the next 2-3 weeks, if not sooner! Let me know your thoughts in the replies, especially if there's critiques/concerns you'd like to express.

Much love,
Nerds
ryannathans
Staff

Re: [Plan] Credit System Rework

Post by ryannathans »

Don't forget testing as a way to earn some fast credits 8-) 8-) 8-)
lila
Noob

Post by lila »

Oo looks beautiful. I'll test it once it's up on test server!
between3and20
Froob

Post by between3and20 »

Ceikry wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:59 am Ideally, you can expect to see this live within the next 2-3 weeks, if not sooner! Let me know your thoughts in the replies, especially if there's critiques/concerns you'd like to express.

Much love,
Looking forward to it!
TerraMaris
Noob

Post by TerraMaris »

I am excited to see this!
Rustfox
Noob

Post by Rustfox »

I plan to make the mini-goal system pretty broad in the long term. In the short term, however, it will be fairly simple: users will be able to generate random skill goals (e.g gain 15k woodcutting xp) that award 1 credit when completed. They will be able to complete up to 3 of these a day as well.
Can't wait to hear what long term goals you're thinking - I can see it as a way to incentivize players and direct them to underappreciated aspects or areas of the game (i.e "Smuggle 10 bottles of Karamjan rum"). That or some sort of bounty system would be really cool. Almost like Slayer tasks but for credits!
St Danewolf
Froob

Post by St Danewolf »

is the credit system being implementet yet? :D
St Danewolf - Summoning Tank Reborn! on 2009scape
St Danewolf
Froob

Post by St Danewolf »

Oh okay :) sounded like a very good idea :D
St Danewolf
Froob

Post by St Danewolf »

yea thats another way of thinking, if credits are pushing people to contribute, thats cool. :)