2009scape Test Process

Test reports, test guides, etc.
ryannathans
Staff

2009scape Test Process

Post by ryannathans »

All development for 2009scape goes through an iterative testing process to ensure all changes are high quality.

Players who assist in testing changes (called merge requests, or MRs) can claim credit rewards after submitting test reports.

Small config changes: 1 credit
Small changes (e.g. small bug fix): ~2 credits
Large changes (e.g. a new quest): ~5 credits
Unique bug discovery: 1 credit per bug

The general process for changes:
  1. Contributor submits a MR here https://gitlab.com/2009scape/2009scape/-/merge_requests
  2. Periodically, these MRs get bundled up and deployed to the test server
  3. A post is made to this thread with the details of what is available to test (MRs labels will also be updated to match)
  4. Testers test (or re-test) the MRs listed in the post
  5. Testers submit a test report on the MR on gitlab (some fantastic examples here: large MR test report (3 parts) small MR test report w/video)
  6. Testers can then post a link to their test report in the credits claim forum (coming soon) with their live username
  7. Once all issues are fixed, the MR is merged into the codebase
  8. Next live server update the merged changes are deployed
To access the test server, simply set your launcher to connect to the test server (remember to change it back again when you want to play live)

Vvr9bQ3.png
Vvr9bQ3.png (66.83 KiB) Viewed 74530 times

You'll need to make a new account, as accounts are not shared between testing and live.

Once you have made a testing account you'll want admin rights to make it easy to test (e.g. spawning items, teleporting, setting levels etc.), post your test account username in this thread and I'll sort you out.

Last edited by ryannathans on Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnowDragon
Noob

Re: 2009scape Test Process

Post by SnowDragon »

Hi Ryan! I've created an account on the test sever named GlowDragon. Can I get admin rights for testing like you mentioned in the post, and is there any place where I can view the list of available commands I can run as admin?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

SnowDragon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 pm and is there any place where I can view the list of available commands I can run as admin?
Just use

Code: Select all

::commands
ingame.
Nerds
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

SnowDragon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 pm Hi Ryan! I've created an account on the test sever named GlowDragon. Can I get admin rights for testing like you mentioned in the post, and is there any place where I can view the list of available commands I can run as admin?
Done :mrgreen:
whoosh
Noob

Post by whoosh »

At the risk of a silly question, is there a way to skip the tutorial island/confirmrules on a new test account?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

whoosh wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:48 pm At the risk of a silly question, is there a way to skip the tutorial island/confirmrules on a new test account?
"confirmrules" has no skip capability and never will, as there's no reason for such a feature to exist

tutorial island can be skipped by talking to the guy named "Skippy" in the first room of the tutorial who, every 3 seconds, says "Talk to me to skip the tutorial!" above his head.
Nerds
whoosh
Noob

Post by whoosh »

Well the use case for skipping `confirmrules` is when I'm testing something locally and I want to bypass the tut+confirmrules and save myself 20 seconds lol
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

the tutorial and rules screen are separate things.

how many accounts are you creating?
Nerds
whoosh
Noob

Post by whoosh »

It's more that locally I don't have a db attached, so when I restart the server, I have to create a fresh account each time
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

whoosh wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:14 pm It's more that locally I don't have a db attached, so when I restart the server, I have to create a fresh account each time
no, you don't.
Nerds