[Feedback Thread] Global Chat Implementation

Provide feedback about the project and/or the forums!
TheChimpken
Froob

[Feedback Thread] Global Chat Implementation

Post by TheChimpken »

Hey friends! I know there's been a lot of active, rigorous debate about how the global chat works, and the color it's using, and the larger effects on the community.
I thought I'd start up a thread here to collect feedback that people have about Global Chat, so we can get some constructive suggestions going and see what can be added.
TheChimpken
Froob

Re: [Feedback Thread] Global Chat Implementation

Post by TheChimpken »

Overall?
[*] Awesome, we can have clans now!
[*] This'll be really cool if PvP makes a return
[*] Having a group of friends around rather than everyone in a chat can be pretty cozy at times, so I like it.

About the Colours:
[*] I'd really like to be able to customize the default color using a command or a togglable option someplace.
[*] The bright green can feel a little jarring on the eyes, but I don't want to force everyone to use that color
[*] Was thinking we could link it to a command ::globalcolor <HEXcolor>, which would make it customizable for everyone, without interfering with others, but I don't have the specific knowledge on how to implement this.

Wait, so Clan Chat isn't representative of who's online anymore?
[*] I think it's important that we still have a way to distinguish bots from players, while respecting people's privacy and right not to be seen as online. 2009scape clan chat does that pretty well, and I love the purple dots on the minimap, which still works really well.
[*] Would love to assist in implementing a way to check who's online, similar to ::quests / ::commands with a quest scroll interface
[*] At the same time, lets give players a way to not be shown as online if they don't want to be ::appearoffline could be a command that would do something like that, maybe?

Just throwing thoughts out in to the ether, and I'd encourage others to do the same. I know this is a new system for all, and there's probably some people with some really good ideas out there on how to make this work really, really well.
TheChimpken
Froob

Post by TheChimpken »

Summer wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:36 am People could just be appreciative of an update by volunteers and go with it instead of complaining. #2020alloveragainiguess
Totally understand, but I get there's an aspect of "this is a big change to a community I'm a part of", and I wanted to give people a place to discuss that in a constructive way so there's some semblance of understanding
DreamTheater
Noob

Post by DreamTheater »

Summer wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:36 am People could just be appreciative of an update by volunteers and go with it instead of complaining. #2020alloveragainiguess
I'd say it's better to have an open mind to feedback rather than admonishing the player base for wanting tweaks to a huge feature to make it truly a game-changer for the server.
"Complaining" should not be conflated with providing feedback/criticism as long as isn't directed at an individual. Having criticism ≠ lack of appreciation for volunteer work. It's actually quite the opposite, wanting a feature to be utilized even more rewards those hours of hard work.
Last edited by DreamTheater on Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreamTheater
Noob

Post by DreamTheater »

I think nearly every new feature in this update is exciting and as Chimken eludes, excellent for if/when PVP comes.

However, several players including myself feel that the green is much too bright and interferes with playing the game. I understand that it's the most visible color, the RGB cones in our eyes are particularly susceptible to green hence why it is used in traffic lights.

But it's a little too bright, so I would experiment with most any other color and try to strike a balance.

Thank you again for all the amazingly fast content updates.
(:
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

You're assuming experimentation didn't occur, we spent several hours in a group call deciding the colors going through multiple options. If you can find a better color, post it instead of assuming we didn't do our due diligence. If I see one more person vaguely complaining about the color without providing alternatives, the feature will be removed in the next update. Thank you.
Nerds
DreamTheater
Noob

Post by DreamTheater »

Ceikry wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:46 pm You're assuming experimentation didn't occur, we spent several hours in a group call deciding the colors going through multiple options. If you can find a better color, post it instead of assuming we didn't do our due diligence. If I see one more person vaguely complaining about the color without providing alternatives, the feature will be removed in the next update. Thank you.
It's not a "vague complaint" it's a simple -- too bright. Therefore, a different shade of green would be great, I tested #228B22 which is known as "forest green."
Where did anybody assume that you didn't do your due diligence? Threatening to remove content when players provide feedback?
I understand that you guys were going for the most visible color, many of us are simply saying it's too bright. I've seriously heard this opinion as the sole reason for people not wanting to use the chat. I'm sorry if that sounds like a trivial matter, but Runescape doesn't feel as immersive with bright green text on the screen.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

It's not a threat to remove content, it's emphasis on the need for feedback to be constructive. Claiming that a new feature that by all accounts works perfectly was "terribly executed" because the shade of green is too bright for your eyes is not constructive criticism. If you think I'm going to sacrifice literally >90% of my free time for this project just for people to tell me my execution of new features is "terrible" because they didn't like the shade of green used, that's frankly just insane and incredibly entitled. You and I both know you didn't start this with a polite forum post. Criticism is fine, but it should be polite and productive. I don't think that's a hard ask.

As for your suggestion:

Forest green was determined to be too dark in about 80%+ of the game. It is terribly hard to read on grass. And grass covers most of the game.

Side note: to add to your comment about "bright green being out of place in runescape"
the shade of bright green we picked is the same bright green jagex used for friends chats from roughly 2011 onwards.
Nerds
DreamTheater
Noob

Post by DreamTheater »

Ceikry wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:35 pm It's not a threat to remove content, it's emphasis on the need for feedback to be constructive. Claiming that a new feature that by all accounts works perfectly was "terribly executed" because the shade of green is too bright for your eyes is not constructive criticism. If you think I'm going to sacrifice literally >90% of my free time for this project just for people to tell me my execution of new features is "terrible" because they didn't like the shade of green used, that's frankly just insane and incredibly entitled. You and I both know you didn't start this with a polite forum post. Criticism is fine, but it should be polite and productive. I don't think that's a hard ask.

As for your suggestion:

Forest green was determined to be too dark in about 80%+ of the game. It is terribly hard to read on grass. And grass covers most of the game.

Side note: to add to your comment about "bright green being out of place in runescape"
the shade of bright green we picked is the same bright green jagex used for friends chats from roughly 2011 onwards.
I sincerely apologize for using those words, which are not my true feelings but came out as I was venting to what I thought was only a small group of people listening and no mods save 1.
I didn't want to make it an issue, but things only got heated after said mod admonished the playerbase for not using the chat, and then that same mod hurling a personal insult at me.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

What mod are you referring to?
Nerds