[Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
ryannathans
Staff

Re: [Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Post by ryannathans »

Try running the client on the command line with java 11 (without saradomin) and paste the error logs here
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Here it is. It doesn't seem to let me post the actual log file if that's what you are looking for.
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (37.6 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

It's definitely a crash coming from the Nvidia OpenGL drivers (nvoglv64)

Try disabling some of the optional nvidia features (gsync, anti-aliasing overrides, etc) just work your way through the feature list until it works.
Nerds
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Ceikry wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:39 pm It's definitely a crash coming from the Nvidia OpenGL drivers (nvoglv64)

Try disabling some of the optional nvidia features (gsync, anti-aliasing overrides, etc) just work your way through the feature list until it works.
Thanks for this! I think this is leading me in the right direction. So far, I noticed that when I change the option shown in the screenshot to "Auto" to "Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain" (it seems it automatically prefers Native as that causes an instant crash), it lets me log into the game in HD graphics mode, however as soon as I minimize the window, it crashes. (Same thing with anti-aliasing settings and G-Sync turned off). Either way, it seems like you may have helped me find where to look to fix it. I will mess with the settings more later on, but I figured I would post an update in case someone knows which specific setting may need to be changed to help save me time if possible.
Attachments
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (19.36 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Do the power settings change anything? "Optimal power" is a power saving feature and might be erroneously sleeping the GPU.
Nerds
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Sadly no, and while I'm playing with the settings, I am seeing this white coloring happen, and this is the first time I've seen it. I'll be playing around with it a lot, and I'm checking the error logs to see if I notice less issues in the logs when I change a particular setting. It may take a while though lol
Attachments
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (239.15 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

sixfootblade wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:17 pm Sadly no, and while I'm playing with the settings, I am seeing this white coloring happen, and this is the first time I've seen it. I'll be playing around with it a lot, and I'm checking the error logs to see if I notice less issues in the logs when I change a particular setting. It may take a while though lol
Nvidia may have dropped support for the older version of OpenGL we use, which if that's the case your only option might be using a much older driver.
Nerds
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Ah, bummer if that's the case. I did try previous drivers (the oldest one I could find that would work with my hardware) and it didn't change anything, but that was without changing these settings. Anyway, I'll keep picking away at this but if you have any suggestions on things to try, please let me know. And I really really appreciate you taking the time to help out with this either way, if I can get this working I'll be so happy.
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Post by Red Bracket »

Maybe we could make a Windows installer that runs Linux in WSL2 and launches the Linux client
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Red Bracket wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:36 pm Maybe we could make a Windows installer that runs Linux in WSL2 and launches the Linux client
It's not that simple, people need to manually enable the WSL2 subsystems to even be able to install Ubuntu or whatever.
Nerds