[Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
sixfootblade
Noob

[Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Post by sixfootblade »

Hello,

I just found 2009scape and I desperately want to play it (single player preferably). Forgive me, as I'm not super savvy when it comes to this stuff. Anyways, as the title suggests, I downloaded the single-player client from https://gitlab.com/2009scape/singleplayer/windows (Windows 10), however when I select HD graphics, it crashes almost instantly, and I see the error logs shows this:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ff81b12b9f0, pid=1336, tid=22020
Problematic frame:
C [nvoglv64.dll+0x14bb9f0]

I looked into my Java version and I found that I had Java 8, so I un-installed that and installed 11 using the link https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases/?version=8 (on the Getting Started guide). That didn't work. I googled the error messages above and found that it typically means my graphics driver is outdated (it was, to my surprise). Still didn't work, and I rebooted my computer after most of those steps. It also seems that whenever I delete/re-install 2009scape, it defaults to HD as the client screen enlarges a bit after a second or two before it crashes. I also tried a few other things that google/youtube suggested but nothing worked.

Sorry, that was a lot of information but I figured the more the better. Hopefully someone can help steer me to a fix for this because it would be so cool to play this.

Thanks!
ryannathans
Staff

Re: [Single-player] Game crashes when HD Graphics is selected

Post by ryannathans »

Can you try with your screen scaling/DPI set to 100% in windows?
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

It already is (attached screenshot). I even clicked advanced settings and manually set it to 100%, but for some reason it changes that manually set number to 175% when I sign back in. Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not, never messed with scaling.
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (9.03 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

I ask because I recall a similar issue with fractional numbers (like 1.75 scaling) - though I'm not certain it's the definite cause here, more of a stab in the dark.

That number shouldn't be changing itself though
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to do more research on why manually setting it to 100% changes it to 175% (even though it looks the same). If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I really appreciate the help, especially since it's an issue on my end of course.
ryannathans
Staff

Post by ryannathans »

Have you tried setting defaults in nvidia control panel?
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Here is my Nvidia Control Panel, specifically the desktop size and position section (everything else is set to default, enabling and disabling G-Sync didn't seem to do anything when I messed with it previously). This is what it's currently set to.

Also, just so you have a description (the screenshot size is too large so I can't include it in this post), when the client opens after the server runs, after the initial loading completes, the client shows the login screen, but it is upside-down and starts flashing for a second before crashing.
Attachments
Capture6.PNG
Capture6.PNG (52.4 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

That's definitely the most bizarre issue we've heard of so far.
Nerds
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

Ceikry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:24 pm That's definitely the most bizarre issue we've heard of so far.
Hahaha, certainly is to me. I've spent several hours researching this before I posted this because I didn't want to bother you guys about it, but I gave up. Obviously I don't expect you guys to help me fix it considering it's an issue on my end, but thank you for sticking with me this far. If we don't end up finding a fix, it is what it is, though I REALLY want to play this.
sixfootblade
Noob

Post by sixfootblade »

So I downloaded the Saradomin launcher, which seems to be working better for troubleshooting purposes. It still crashes when I click HD graphics, but at least it stays with the SD by default, rather than automatically trying to start with HD graphics like the singleplayer client does.

I uninstalled JDK 11 and installed 17 (and then tried 20 which produced the same result) from a site I found on google, and with those, instead of crashing when I click HD graphics, it simply returns an error "RuneScape was unable to enter the chosen display mode" and doesn't crash. . I also didn't have to manually set the Java Executable path as those automatically filled it in, but the others didn't.

I don't know if this helps you guys at all, but it seemed important.