Extra Feedback on Merge Request 1302: Reintroduce PvP + Wilderness Enhancements

Provide feedback about the project and/or the forums!
Valpuri
Froob

Re: Extra Feedback on Merge Request 1302: Reintroduce PvP + Wilderness Enhancements

Post by Valpuri »

Dark Sage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am This is a response to Valpuri/Valkyrie’s earlier post on his stance of PvP since it’s been locked now..

So, since when does one player here ultimately make the decisions on implementations based on weather they like it or not? This is looking like OSRS a couple years back when they completely ignored their PVP community and only catered to the PVM community. I’ve spent more time in the Wilderness than him and frankly anyone else here. (Yes, that includes the days before PvP was disabled due to the bug). It’s called the wilderness for a reason, it was created for a reason. If you go there, be prepared to die at anytime. That’s the whole point of even being in the wilderness. Kill or be killed! The way your speaking, you have no business being in the wilderness then.. This was already voted for by the community and had passed with flying colors.
2009Scape is a remake of the game as it existed in 2009: an era with a portion of its identity defined by the complete lack of wilderness PvP. It's not 'kill or be killed': It simply didn't exist. Your personal time spent in the wilderness is irrelevant, and, as Ceikry has stated, so are the results of community polls. However, the proposed account toggle would still allow you to participate in wilderness PvP if you so desired. There would be no functional difference pertaining to you personally.
Dark Sage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am And yes, I read your “it’s not authentic to this era” and I say so isn’t free trade. Free trade was takin out three weeks later after the wilderness was disabled. So since you want to stick to the “authentic era”, let’s go ahead so do that too.. I know how much you, and everyone else (including myself) love trading between our alts. Why was this not brought up in your post of “authenticity”?
This was brought up in my original post, though not directly. Era-authentic trade restrictions are another example of a feature which could be disabled or enabled by account and not affect other players' experiences. I am thus fully in support of the implementation of a trade-restriction feature with an account toggle to enable/disable it, same as wilderness PvP. Those who enjoy authentic trade restrictions could use them, and those who do not would not be required to. However, just as Ceikry said, there most likely would be very few if any players choosing to utilize it, and as such, the time spent implementing it would be for little point.
Dark Sage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am Secondly, let’s talk brawlers gloves. I’ve seen you personally farm revs in the cemetery and collect brawlers gloves (which is the inauthentic way) by the way. The correct way of getting them is again, PvP and get it as a lucky drop from another player.
Again, this was addressed in my original thread. Those who do not wish to in-authentically obtain and use brawler gloves can simply not pick them up or destroy them. Furthermore, given the current lack of PvP worlds and the fact that revenants were added to be a replacement to player killers when wilderness PvP was removed during this era, revenants are an excellent candidate for the addition of a brawler glove drop due to the fact that fighting a revenant is analogous to a PvP engagement. A boss monster like the chaos elemental is also a good candidate, given that fighting it is similar to a PvP engagement in that it is a challenge to defeat. "Normal" mobs like pyrefiends, ice warriors, and abyssal demons are far less so. Having the potential to be attacked by another player while fighting them doesn't change this and as such does very little to account for the balance implications. At most, it might somewhat dissuade players from fighting these enemies or cause them to use less-valuable gear when doing so.
Dark Sage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am From what I’m understanding from your post, it seems like you have a personal agenda here. You just don’t want to be pk’d if it came down to it. You want to continue playing it safe over there at the cemetery and collect loot without the fear of running into someone. And want to continue doing whatever other stuff that will benefit you personally and completely ignore the other players who actually voted for this. I’ve rev hunted and killed the chaos ele while PvP was enabled. I never complained once. Yes, I was targeted numerous times and all failed. It’s part of the game. Jagex did remove it due to RWT, but there was other ways to go on about handling that. Not everything done in 2009 was done correctly.
The perceived imperfection of the game's state in 2009 combined with the consideration for the "personal agendas" of individual players is the foundation for the support of account-based toggles and a non-forced nature for inauthentic features. No game is perfect, but by allowing players to custom-tailor their experiences to their personal preferences, assuming that these changes do not affect other players, a server can be created which allows for the greatest number of players to have the experience they desire. The more players that play the server, the more likely that this project will find the talent it needs to flourish.
Dark Sage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am Again, why is one player deciding what happens to the wilderness and all of a sudden the merge request gets closed?? So screw us, the voters??
I am far from the only dissenting voice on this topic. Please do not misplace your blame solely upon me.

I would like to close with an apology for continuing to discuss this matter. I felt obligated to respond given that the post was directed at me personally. However, the fact that the original thread was locked clearly indicates that the administration team would like us to cease discussion on this matter. As such, I will no longer post any responses.