Do not run the ::update command

Test reports, test guides, etc.
Edward
Noob

Do not run the ::update command

Post by Edward »

I recently learned the hard way that ::update breaks the test server and requires a manual reset which staff has limited access to.
While this was not my intention, I was ultimately testing a command that testers have access to, and there is no indication on the game guide here that this would "break" the testing server. I've also done QA for hobbyist-level game development before, and trying to break things was a part of the job.
I have already apologized on the Discord server but I will apologize again on the forums for delaying an apparently critical update. I'm sorry!
As to how this could be avoided in the future, I'm not sure how feasible it is to create another category of testers (no additional credit or change to the testing process of course), as some testers such as myself are more interested in gameplay-specific features (e.g. quests, UI) than backend features (e.g. server status). Some commands are listed as "Developer Commands" under the game guide, after all. Or just leave the proverbial forbidden fruit in the garden, though it'd be nice if there was some indication that this is indeed a forbidden fruit, as was indirectly suggested by another user on Discord.

edit: added link to game guide in response to linked forum thread below
Last edited by Edward on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Do not run the ::update command

Post by Ceikry »

Every command you need to (and frankly should) use is in the testing guide here on the forum
Nerds
Ceikry
Site Admin

Re: Do not run the ::update command

Post by Ceikry »

Nerds