macOS Native HD

Various development-related discussions
downthecrop
Staff

macOS Native HD

Post by downthecrop »

macOS Native HD Release Candidate Available Now!

I have a release candidate for macOS Native HD for anyone interested. Using LWJGL 2.9.

Can be loaded right now by replacing 2009scape(.)jar in your home folder [/Users/anon/2009scape]. Hopefully in the future Saradomin Launcher will download this and the platform specific JRE to make things easier.

Note: You'll need to uncheck the "Check for client updates on launch" option in Saradomin

Demo Video (This was using the x86_64 Libs so the performance is slightly better under native libs + jre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BRmhM116E

Notable Features:
- HD resizable and Fixed Modes
- Replaces AWT canvas (like jogl did)
- Able to freely switch between HD and SD
- Native HD libraries for both x86_64 + ARM64 chips (Intel and Apple M-series macs)
- Sound and Mouse + Keyboard are all handled by their original handlers. No Jank.

Missing Features and Issues:
- HD Water
- Fullscreen Disabled
- Some jank when switching window modes
- Lighting slightly too bright + fog issues fixed Nov18 2023

Download: https://gitlab.com/downthecrop/rt4-client/-/jobs (it's just a jar so please put it in the right spot I said above! :geek: :twisted: :mrgreen: )
downthecrop
Staff

Re: macOS Native HD

Post by downthecrop »

Note regarding image softness: I was stumped as to why when rendering on a new GLFW window text ingame was crisp and the AWT canvas had obvious aliasing. The answer is the macOS native resolution scaling. If anyone knows a solution to this (other than switching the screen to native unscaled) please let me know!

BetterDisplay HiDPI toggle work well enough. I recommend using that.
Nym
Noob

Post by Nym »

is there a native M1 version? I've tried running the RT4 version as indicated above on an M1 iMac and a 2018 intel MacMini (integrated graphics), but neither let me switch to HD mode. They both say something along the lines of no appropriate graphics driver.

edit: nevermind. I replaced it again and set the rt4 to locked, and now I have HD.

edit2: still having trouble going fullscreen, but I can resize the window at least. Swapping between HD and SD is giving graphics artefacts, and shifting where the mouse clicks, so it no longer matches up with the actual mouse icon. But resizing the window seems to fix it.
downthecrop
Staff

Post by downthecrop »

Nym wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:46 pm edit2: still having trouble going fullscreen, but I can resize the window at least. Swapping between HD and SD is giving graphics artefacts, and shifting where the mouse clicks, so it no longer matches up with the actual mouse icon. But resizing the window seems to fix it.
All known documented bugs in the original post. All fixable if someone hacked on them for a while but most people aren't consistently switching window modes
Nym
Noob

Post by Nym »

there are few other problems. When I tried to start the Waterfall quest, HD mode would crash at the foot of the mountain. Had to switch to SD to be able to do the actual quest.

Also had a weird crash in the Gnome agility training course, where I was stuck inside the pipes. I could walk around but not get out (without home tele) after logging back in.

And map doesn't work in HD mode. I miss having a map in game. It works in SD mode though.
Spirit
Noob

Post by Spirit »

while loading, as soon as it states "starting 3d library" it freezes and flashes red for me. On a 2019 intel macbook pro (ventura)