HCIM Poll

General discussion

Should 10x HCIM Be Able To Give items To Their 5x Main?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 25

ryannathans
Staff

Re: HCIM Poll

Post by ryannathans »

My two cents:
  1. 10x is much faster than half the time of 5x, due to being able to access higher tier xp sources much sooner it essentially has some compounding effect
  2. 10x shouldn't be able to drop to mains, but non-exclusive hcim rates should (e.g. players currently 1-5x)
Cocytus
Noob

Post by Cocytus »

so in other words the poll was up for naught :roll:
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Cocytus wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:54 pm so in other words the poll was up for naught :roll:
Nope, if the alt limit proves to be ineffective the poll will be included in considerations on what to do next.
Nerds
Cocytus
Noob

Post by Cocytus »

well, how would limiting to 3 characters avoid someone from having 2 hcim chars dropping for his main? o_O
Telixnth
Noob

Post by Telixnth »

I have no investment in this, as I do not and do not plan to play a HCIM character, and I voted that drop restrictions should be made.

But for the sake of motivating discussion:

I've heard people say that the alternative XP rates were instated with the stipulation (and assumption) that having variable rates would not impact the server economy. Assuming this holds true for 1x-5x, was 10x taken into consideration when this was decided?

I have also heard that there used to be even higher XP rates, and a change was performed to remove said rates and scale accounts' XP totals down to match the new rate they were put into. Supposedly this also came with a statement that XP rates would not be removed again, citing the current selection of rates did not impact the server economy [as opposed to the removed rates]. Acknowledging that 10x is not being considered for removal, how does 10x fit into this historical discussion?

Again, I am not making a point, nor was I around for these changes, but for the sake of nuanced discussion I would like to invite comments so that all angles are considered.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Telixnth wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 am I have no investment in this, as I do not and do not plan to play a HCIM character, and I voted that drop restrictions should be made.

But for the sake of motivating discussion:

I've heard people say that the alternative XP rates were instated with the stipulation (and assumption) that having variable rates would not impact the server economy. Assuming this holds true for 1x-5x, was 10x taken into consideration when this was decided?

I have also heard that there used to be even higher XP rates, and a change was performed to remove said rates and scale accounts' XP totals down to match the new rate they were put into. Supposedly this also came with a statement that XP rates would not be removed again, citing the current selection of rates did not impact the server economy [as opposed to the removed rates]. Acknowledging that 10x is not being considered for removal, how does 10x fit into this historical discussion?

Again, I am not making a point, nor was I around for these changes, but for the sake of nuanced discussion I would like to invite comments so that all angles are considered.
10x was taken into consideration, that's why it was only supplied to HCIM (who cannot interact with the economy by normal means, and do not drop any items on death.)

Drop trading was an oversight that I allowed because no one was abusing it. The difference is that now people are abusing it, so discussion on whether or not something needs to be done about it was sparked.

10x was added back in for PDIM several months after the discussion you reference, and HCIM's inability to impact the economy was an understood component of this.
Nerds
Telixnth
Noob

Post by Telixnth »

By all means, that satisfies my own curiosity. Can't argue with the reasoning of that series of events.
SZUMASTER
Noob

Post by SZUMASTER »

ryannathans wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 pm My two cents:
  1. 10x is much faster than half the time of 5x, due to being able to access higher tier xp sources much sooner it essentially has some compounding effect
assuming that you do not take into the time spent by both players, their level of knowledge and what they have achieved so far :)

lila
Noob

Post by lila »

To drop-trade in my 20 cents,

I would think drop-trading from iron to (anyone else) shouldn't be allowed at all. The point of irons is to prevent trading, and since the trade functionality is disabled, doesn't that make drop-trading a bit of a cheap bypass to the intention? Also iron is intentionally restricting yourself from interacting with the game economy, it makes sense to block it both ways. I'm not sure what other people think of blocking drop-trading from all irons, but my vote would be to block drop-trading from all irons.

Also @ryan the compounding effect scales against the time difference so the final result is still half the time. A skill that takes 10 hours to level 30 and then 4 hours to level 60, on a double xp rate would take 5 hours to level 30 and then 2 hours to level 60. But there is a compounding effect in terms of miscellaneous skills; for example, getting 45 magic for Camelot teleport helps your account a lot and probably helps with a lot of skills, so half the time to get that would compound for all skills that it is helpful to. etc.