flatpak laggy single player

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
Noob

Re: flatpak laggy single player

Post by 216598762 »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:54 pm
216598762 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm
Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm The linux flatpak is a special case. It runs in a container, because it is a flatpak. There could be many unforeseen causes of performance issues there. The original poster of this thread explicitly mentioned that the problem does not affect a local build of the source, only the flatpak. So, your problem is clearly different. Instead of offering to investigate your problem, you declared the project to be "borked" and offered no further insight. When I responded to your lack of effort with equal lack of effort, you acted like you deserved more. I responded in kind.
Probably because I don't know where to start on giving you logs, considering as you said, it's not my project, and I haven't contributed to it, I literally know nothing about it past the fact that I locally ran the launcher just the same as the flatpak and the severe lag persists. It is not my system as it's my daily driver and I run games and far more complex software at the same time with literally no issues. If you are requesting more information, would you be helpful and tell me what information would direct you more accurately?
Additionally, if it's a java issue, I also run modded minecraft just fine! So please, helpful responses?
There's FAQs that already point you to the correct java version, and so on. Helpful questions get helpful responses, not insulting the efforts of my contributors.

A better approach would have been something along the lines of:

"Hey, I'm having a similar problem, but it's also happening when I run it outside of the flatpak. I'm on X commit, java version Y, and I'm experiencing Z symptoms (stuttery walking, low FPS, really high CPU usage, etc). Is there something I can provide to help with looking into this?"

Open source projects are a collaborative effort, and before you ask things of contributors (volunteers), you should be willing to put a good foot forwards yourself in order to make things easier on everyone. I am also a volunteer. Everyone here is. If you had asked your question more like this, I would have eagerly jumped in and probably had you try a couple simple troubleshooting steps.
Moral of the story, you were offended by the word borked. My bad, next time I'll use broken, laggy, unplayable, as the original poster did. ????
Crazy I went through the faqs and they didn't have my problem, but there was a post open with a very similar issue opened not two days ago.
Sorry I didn't know that I had to be that specific in my first post to not get responded with sound like ur pc cant handle it lololololol XD
and sorry that responding to that absolutely worthless response with actual specs of my pc is somehow even more rude.
So here, let's try this again, it runs at about 5 FPS, multiplayer runs flawlessly, and I'm running the flatpak at this point cause when I ran the launcher as an executable I had no problems. I have multiple java versions installed and I don't know how to tell which version it's pointing to, if you could tell me where I can get that I'll gladly give it.
I'm sorry you were having a bad day and decided to lash out at me, bud.
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

2fps is a more apt description, it is using java 11, openjdk. I tried adoptium 11 and saw 0 difference. As stated, multiplayer runs fine. I'm using the -sc launcher executable. I tried wiping the .local/share of existing files and running it fresh and still see the problem.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

where did you obtain your copy of singleplayer? can you tell what version the launcher is?
Nerds
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

If you're on linux, try setting the FPS cap in the launcher from 0 (auto) to 50

There is a bug in the JDK where on X11, people with multi monitor setups sometimes have a default debug response come up when you attempt to get the refresh rate. The automatic FPS detection code, then, would be setting your FPS to this debug response. That was patched in newer versions of the client to default to 50 if we get the debug response, but perhaps a similar thing is occurring even with that patched version, or the client you are running is somehow out of date pretty severely.
Nerds
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:22 pm If you're on linux, try setting the FPS cap in the launcher from 0 (auto) to 50

There is a bug in the JDK where on X11, people with multi monitor setups sometimes have a default debug response come up when you attempt to get the refresh rate. The automatic FPS detection code, then, would be setting your FPS to this debug response. That was patched in newer versions of the client to default to 50 if we get the debug response, but perhaps a similar thing is occurring even with that patched version, or the client you are running is somehow out of date pretty severely.
https://gitlab.com/2009scape/Saradomin- ... k_linux_sc
This was the link directly from the main webpage (direct binary)
I'm on neon, so wayland I'm pretty sure. Did the 50 cap and did not change anything.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

to me it definitely sounds like the issue you're having is explicitly tied to the client, does SD vs HD make any difference in the framerate? does quickly swapping over to an X11 desktop help with the issue? (Wayland still has limited support for some Java applications, and may really disagree with the way Jagex was handling the 3d rendering on the AWT canvas. I mention this because last time I tried wayland, around 2 years ago, 3d programs in java would simply refuse to render anything at all.)
Nerds
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

It's also worth mentioning that Minecraft's rendering works very differently to RuneScape's, Jagex had to do some very creative things to get native OpenGL, etc working in a web browser.
Nerds
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Sorry for my noob response, but how do I swap to an X11 desktop? I mean, wouldn't that have to be a different window manager or no? I know in the past installing multiple window managers can get messy so I want to avoid that.

No difference between sd and hd, my system isn't tanking.
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Oh, launcher in the logs says it's using X11.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

216598762 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:36 pm Sorry for my noob response, but how do I swap to an X11 desktop? I mean, wouldn't that have to be a different window manager or no? I know in the past installing multiple window managers can get messy so I want to avoid that.

No difference between sd and hd, my system isn't tanking.
Installing a different desktop environment is relatively straightforward on most distributions and can be selected and switched to pretty easily in most login managers. I've never used KDE neon, so I'm not sure, maybe they've gone out of their way to make that hard for you. If they have, there's one more thing we can try just in case it is *somehow* a server issue (I'm very doubtful, though, because the client's framerate is independent of the Server, and even at the server's absolute worst performance in the past it never approached the point of being able to bog down an entire system)
Nerds