flatpak laggy single player

Having issues? Ask here!
Forum rules
- Search for existing answers before creating a new topic
- Topic titles must be descriptive and searchable
- Duplicate questions will be redirected to the existing answer(s) and locked.
Droll
Noob

flatpak laggy single player

Post by Droll »

When I load a single player game using just the server jar via the terminal and connecting to a local instance in the launcher, it works fine. However, when I try to start the game by simply clicking "Start Single Player" in the launcher, the experience is laggy and unplayable.
Red Bracket
Retired Staff

Re: flatpak laggy single player

Post by Red Bracket »

That's interesting, I'll have to look into it
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Seconding this, the problem is not exclusive to the flatpak. I took the source and ran it myself and still have the lag problems. Completely borked.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

Sounds like your PC just can't handle it lol
Nerds
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:12 pm Sounds like your PC just can't handle it lol
Good one. Very helpful. I have a 3900x, a EVGA 3080 ftw, and 32gb ddr4 4000.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

SP runs absolutely fine on my garbage laptop from 2013.

In other words, instead of romping into a forum filled with people you've never spoken to on a project you've never contributed anything of value to and proudly declaring you think the entire project and the efforts of countless people who have contributed things of value is "completely borked", why not take a moment of your own precious time to investigate what part of *your* system configuration is causing the performance issue and then, if applicable, open an issue with the relevant details or post a guide?

Additionally, you are not owed anything by us, so this attitude you're putting forwards where you think you deserve something that automagically works perfectly on your snowflake pc configuration with 0 effort put towards investigation on your part, and then consequentially acting like you're owed a handholding step by step debugging of your setup by volunteers to the project, isn't going to serve you very well here.

Be more polite and less entitled in the future, and you're more likely to actually get some help.
Nerds
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:39 pm SP runs absolutely fine on my garbage laptop from 2013.

In other words, instead of romping into a forum filled with people you've never spoken to on a project you've never contributed anything of value to and proudly declaring you think the entire project and the efforts of countless people who have contributed things of value is "completely borked", why not take a moment of your own precious time to investigate what part of *your* system configuration is causing the performance issue and then, if applicable, open an issue with the relevant details or post a guide?

Additionally, you are not owed anything by us, so this attitude you're putting forwards where you think you deserve something that automagically works perfectly on your snowflake pc configuration with 0 effort put towards investigation on your part, and then consequentially acting like you're owed a handholding step by step debugging of your setup by volunteers to the project, isn't going to serve you very well here.

Be more polite and less entitled in the future, and you're more likely to actually get some help.
Is reporting a problem not being helpful?
>more polite and less entitled
You got a rude response for being rude for literally no reason.
Clearly I'm not the only one with the issue, so it is an issue that needs to be addressed. If I need to go somewhere else to do so where people are going to engage and not tell me 'lol get a better pc entitled snowflake', please direct me instead of being an ass. I'll gladly give any logs and engage at whatever level is necessary, but telling me I'm entitled for coming to the forum designated for help and asking for help is WILD.
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

The linux flatpak is a special case. It runs in a container, because it is a flatpak. There could be many unforeseen causes of performance issues there. The original poster of this thread explicitly mentioned that the problem does not affect a local build of the source, only the flatpak. So, your problem is clearly different. Instead of offering to investigate your problem, you declared the project to be "borked" and offered no further insight. When I responded to your lack of effort with equal lack of effort, you acted like you deserved more. I responded in kind.
Nerds
Noob

Post by 216598762 »

Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm The linux flatpak is a special case. It runs in a container, because it is a flatpak. There could be many unforeseen causes of performance issues there. The original poster of this thread explicitly mentioned that the problem does not affect a local build of the source, only the flatpak. So, your problem is clearly different. Instead of offering to investigate your problem, you declared the project to be "borked" and offered no further insight. When I responded to your lack of effort with equal lack of effort, you acted like you deserved more. I responded in kind.
Probably because I don't know where to start on giving you logs, considering as you said, it's not my project, and I haven't contributed to it, I literally know nothing about it past the fact that I locally ran the launcher just the same as the flatpak and the severe lag persists. It is not my system as it's my daily driver and I run games and far more complex software at the same time with literally no issues. If you are requesting more information, would you be helpful and tell me what information would direct you more accurately?
Additionally, if it's a java issue, I also run modded minecraft just fine! So please, helpful responses?
Ceikry
Site Admin

Post by Ceikry »

216598762 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm
Ceikry wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm The linux flatpak is a special case. It runs in a container, because it is a flatpak. There could be many unforeseen causes of performance issues there. The original poster of this thread explicitly mentioned that the problem does not affect a local build of the source, only the flatpak. So, your problem is clearly different. Instead of offering to investigate your problem, you declared the project to be "borked" and offered no further insight. When I responded to your lack of effort with equal lack of effort, you acted like you deserved more. I responded in kind.
Probably because I don't know where to start on giving you logs, considering as you said, it's not my project, and I haven't contributed to it, I literally know nothing about it past the fact that I locally ran the launcher just the same as the flatpak and the severe lag persists. It is not my system as it's my daily driver and I run games and far more complex software at the same time with literally no issues. If you are requesting more information, would you be helpful and tell me what information would direct you more accurately?
Additionally, if it's a java issue, I also run modded minecraft just fine! So please, helpful responses?
There's FAQs that already point you to the correct java version, and so on. Helpful questions get helpful responses, not insulting the efforts of my contributors.

A better approach would have been something along the lines of:

"Hey, I'm having a similar problem, but it's also happening when I run it outside of the flatpak. I'm on X commit, java version Y, and I'm experiencing Z symptoms (stuttery walking, low FPS, really high CPU usage, etc). Is there something I can provide to help with looking into this?"

Open source projects are a collaborative effort, and before you ask things of contributors (volunteers), you should be willing to put a good foot forwards yourself in order to make things easier on everyone. I am also a volunteer. Everyone here is. If you had asked your question more like this, I would have eagerly jumped in and probably had you try a couple simple troubleshooting steps.
Nerds